Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I have 93 Legacy wagon with AT issues.

What year transmissions will work? How about newer units, say from '96 or so...will they bolt up? Any computer or other issues?

I know some of this have been covered before but a quick search didn't get my questions answered.

Thanks guys.

In 96 they changed the tranny, so the electronics are different.....connector is different. You can use a newer tranny, you'd just have to match up the wiring and switch connectors.

The 92-94 AWD autos had a 3.90 final drive ratio, I don't know what the 95 had. The 90-91 AWD autos had a 4.111 final drive ratio. So if you use one of those, you need to switch out the rear end so that it has the same final drive ratio.

So that leaves you pretty much with the 92-94 AWD AT legacy trannies as plug & play, but others could be used with more effort.

I was wondering the same thing. My 90 WGN AWD Auto is losing 2nd. gear, I ordered a used tranny from a place in Wisconsin but they are giving me a major run around! I found a really nice 95 here in Tucson but it was hit in the right rear wheel pretty hard so i'm not sure about the rear end.

Dito on Josh's web site !! It rules.

P.S. BEWARE OF MID-CITY AUTO SALVAGE in Milwaukie, Wisconsin!!!!!

Actually a 96 auto tranny will work just fine. I just installed a 1998 Legacy auto tranny into my 1990 Legacy. Only problem I ran into was the speedo cable needs to be changed out. The 98 comes with a electronic speedo and the 90 is a cable. I haven’t figured that one out yet. But the connectors and all the wiring is the same.

Good luck!