Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rattle coming from Clutch?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phugoid

Phugoid

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • St. Paul

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:03 AM

My 97 OBW with 5MT (97k miles) has an unusual sound when depressing the clutch pedal in the lower gears. The sound is a metal on metal vibration, but not a grinding or anything. This only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.

Also, it only happens when I shift around the 3K RPM mark. If I shift at 2500, it doesn't happen, and if I shift at 3500 it doesn't happen. The noise occurrs briefly and only while the RPMs are in that 3K range.

Also, if I engine brake down a hill and leave it in the 3K range, I get that sound with a little more consistency.

This seems like a loose piece of metal being excited by the 3000 RPM range. Anyone have any ideas what might be vibrating?

Thank you!
Reid

#2 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:07 AM

Some kind of exhaust shielding maybe? I used to get some exhaust shielding noise on my 98 legacy kinda seems like what you're talking about...

#3 Phugoid

Phugoid

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • St. Paul

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:10 AM

Was your problem next to the headers? Right next to the engine? This rattle is definitely coming from the engine compartment.

Thanks for the reply,
Reid

#4 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:15 AM

It was coming from the catalytic converter area.. but from inside the car with the windows down it sounds like its coming from the engine bay....

#5 Phugoid

Phugoid

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • St. Paul

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

I'll check it out and get back to you. Do you/anyone else have any other ideas on what it might be, or things I should check while I'm under the car?

Thanks again,
Reid

#6 ironboy789

ironboy789

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Southeastern Wisconsin

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

My 98 Forester is making a similar rattle, 2nd and 3rd seem to really make it happen when down shifting or plugging the engine down a hill. I thought it might be some heat shild or something loose. Can't pinpoint it, only happens while drivig(wife won't hang out the window to help diagnos. No clutch or tranny problems to speak of.

I'll check it out and get back to you. Do you/anyone else have any other ideas on what it might be, or things I should check while I'm under the car?

Thanks again,
Reid

#7 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

I had this problem a year or two ago, it turned out to be the heat shields around the exhaust pipe and catalytic converters. There are several exhaust shields, the first being on the y-pipe (header). Those make a terrible rattling sound when loose. There are also shields on the catalytic converters, and heat shields bolted to the floor of the body that can rattle. I would jack up the car and check all those pieces for looseness before I do anything too crazy.

I, too, originally thought it was transmission noise because of its relationship to certain rpm's when shifting. But alas, it was not...

There are several solutions to fixing a loose heat shield.

Do a search under exhaust rattle or heat shield, and you'll find a lot of useful info.

Matt

#8 ironboy789

ironboy789

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Southeastern Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Thank you for the info your Bigness, most helpful for my "hanging by a thread" heat shields. Could they make them any cheaper?

I had this problem a year or two ago, it turned out to be the heat shields around the exhaust pipe and catalytic converters. There are several exhaust shields, the first being on the y-pipe (header). Those make a terrible rattling sound when loose. There are also shields on the catalytic converters, and heat shields bolted to the floor of the body that can rattle. I would jack up the car and check all those pieces for looseness before I do anything too crazy.

I, too, originally thought it was transmission noise because of its relationship to certain rpm's when shifting. But alas, it was not...

There are several solutions to fixing a loose heat shield.

Do a search under exhaust rattle or heat shield, and you'll find a lot of useful info.

Matt

#9 Shifter59

Shifter59

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Shoreline, WA

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

sounds like the exhaust shroud, i have the same problem in my 97 legacy outback, it's not a huge problem, just creates that annoying sound that you are talking about, take it to a muffler shop and have them tack weld it, i've just been too lazy to get around to doing it, shoudln't be more than 20 bucks......

My 97 OBW with 5MT (97k miles) has an unusual sound when depressing the clutch pedal in the lower gears. The sound is a metal on metal vibration, but not a grinding or anything. This only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.

Also, it only happens when I shift around the 3K RPM mark. If I shift at 2500, it doesn't happen, and if I shift at 3500 it doesn't happen. The noise occurrs briefly and only while the RPMs are in that 3K range.

Also, if I engine brake down a hill and leave it in the 3K range, I get that sound with a little more consistency.

This seems like a loose piece of metal being excited by the 3000 RPM range. Anyone have any ideas what might be vibrating?

Thank you!
Reid

#10 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:57 AM

No, I don't think they can make them any cheaper. They seem to be designed to fail prematurely...

You can buy new exhaust shields and replace them, or try welds, screws, hose clamps, etc, or combinations of different tactics to hold them in place. The problem is the shield itself usually isn't damaged, it is the attachment points that wear out and disintegrate. At least on my car, most of the metal is intact, just not the parts that secure it.

Matt

#11 ironboy789

ironboy789

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Southeastern Wisconsin

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

(un)luckily for me, I am a welder and work with stainless steel, so you know what I am going to do. I will wind up making my car weigh much much more with the all new ten gauge stainless heat shrouds.(double wall, of course) I really do appreciate the help.

No, I don't think they can make them any cheaper. They seem to be designed to fail prematurely...

You can buy new exhaust shields and replace them, or try welds, screws, hose clamps, etc, or combinations of different tactics to hold them in place. The problem is the shield itself usually isn't damaged, it is the attachment points that wear out and disintegrate. At least on my car, most of the metal is intact, just not the parts that secure it.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users