Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy pneumatic suspension problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ssldr1

ssldr1

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 04 September 2003 - 08:40 PM

I'm new to the board but I'm sure its not a new problem. My 92 Legacy with pneumatic suspension appears to have an air leak on the front left. It went flat after I parked it tonight. I started it up, the car rose again but after I shut it off you could hear the hissing as it went flat. Will this require the entire suspension in the front to be replaced? Does it have to be pneumatic? Can only a Subaru dealer take care of this? $$$? Thanks for any insight you can give.

ssldr

#2 North Ursalia

North Ursalia

aka Captain Morgan

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Margaritaville

Posted 04 September 2003 - 09:13 PM

You should just need to replace the air strut- if the others are holding, it shouldn't be the compressor. It may be more economical to find a set of used conventional springs, struts, and strut tops and convert the suspension. That air suspension is just going to keep breaking over the coming years.

#3 gotsubarus

gotsubarus

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • Canton, NC

Posted 04 September 2003 - 09:46 PM

I have the left Air strut... Or i have the springs and tops.

Where in SC are you? You can Email me if you want...

#4 1993 Legacy

1993 Legacy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Budapest

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:51 PM

Hi Shane,

Have you still got the air strut somewhere? Have you got any pictures? I might be needing one and also I was wondering whether you could tell me how and where the height reed switch is located on the strut.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hope to hear from you.
Dusan

#5 Starkapopolis

Starkapopolis

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:12 AM

Before you go changin things, make sure you have a problem. I replaced 3 of my 4 air struts and the compressor as well. The struts didn't need it but the compressor did. In your case, if you are only hearing a hissing sound after the car is turned off , that's normal. It will release some pressure about 10 seconds after the car is turned off. It will also flatten out some.

Make sure something is wrong before spending the bucks.

Brian

#6 1993 Legacy

1993 Legacy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Budapest

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:47 AM

Hi Brian,

Have you still got the front bags? Can you take a photo of the top part where the height reed switches are? I suspect I have a problem with them. It would help greatly as I cannot seem to find much info on the air suspension anywhere.
Thanks and best regards

Dusan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users