Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any issues to consider with a 99 Forester

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Imprezacy

Imprezacy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • vancouver, Canada

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:52 AM

I have a friend that is looking at a 99 Forester, and she wanted to know what issues she should look at when buying one used. Any info would be great!!

02 Legacy L Wagon
"That baby can haul gear, darn tootin!"

#2 dormat925

dormat925

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • S. MN

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:18 AM

How many miles? and any other info on car would be helpful.

#3 Imprezacy

Imprezacy

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • vancouver, Canada

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:48 PM

She has told me that the car has 160km on it, been in Edmonton Alberta Canada, and is an automatic. She doesn't know any other info. I think she was just thinking of any general concerns to look into in regards to Foresters as a whole. Anything would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:28 PM

Mine had about 85,000 miles if I remember and required head gaskets, clutch, water pump, seals, and brakes.

Have a good Subaru person inspect the car, especially the clutch and head gaskets.

#5 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 06 September 2003 - 08:12 AM

The 99 should have the Phase II engine (SOHC), but even some of these are showing up with head gasket failures. Look for anti-freeze leaks.

Was this one of the years that had rear wheel bearing problems? Or was that 2000/2001 ish...

Listen for piston slap. Highway drive and listen for wind noise around the A pillar. I've driven a couple and found them to be quite bad.

Get a hold of the service records if you can. And do have the car thoroughly inspected. It's worth the cost.

Commuter

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 September 2003 - 11:57 AM

I have gotten so used to the piston slap I forgot it.
Only when it is cold, and the only time I really hear it is in the parking garage at work with the windows down.
On start up at home the insulation makes it hard to hear.
The slap does not seem to hurt anything and my engine still acts pretty normal.
You should note that I am an ex mechanic and these folks warned me about the head gasket issue, and I still did not spot the exterior coolent leak for a week because it was so small.
The reason I bought a 99 was to get the phase two engine on advice from this board.
I have still poured a ton of money into mine to bring all the stuff Subuaru should have gotten right up to the latest fixes.
I planned on this when I bought the car and the fact that it is fun to drive makes up for it to me.
Because it was a 99 I could afford to pay cash and have no payments.
After that I have been spending a bit on it monthly to get it where I like it.
Off to buy a Sony explode now to fix the CD problem.
Best of luck to you and GF.

#7 Dinero

Dinero

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • South Carolina

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:00 AM

I own a 99 Forester 99 AT with 140,000 miles on the clock. The engine definitely suffers from noticable "piston slap". There may be a head gasket issue with the SOHC, although it is MUCH less of a potential problem than with the DOHC. So far, I have not had any major repair problems with my car. Be aware that all 2.5 L Subaru engine are interference type engines. These engines self destruct if any goes wrong with the timing belt. Unfortunately, most Japanese, and many American cars, have interference type engines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users