Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Had A Profound Thought (sort of).

As I watched the bubbles in my overflow today, I realized that the trip to the dealer for the HC sniff-check is finally upon me. This is occurring on a phase II 2.5 which isn't supposed to have this problem.

Anyway as I played out the scenario in my head where the dealer's first move will most likely be to try to put stop-leak in my system, the absurdity of where we as sheeple (ouch) have collectively arrived, dawned on me ...accompanied by a Roger Waters manic chortle.

I grew up in the southwest corner of Warren, Michigan ...an area where "hillbilly" mechanic technique is pretty much a state-of-the-art affair. Bondo, hose clamps, coat hangers, duct tape and STOP LEAK are de facto mainstays of every buttcrack oil-stain fix it right in the Pep Boyz parking lot technician.

It didn't seem all that long ago (to me anyway) when legislation was pased in an effort to crack down on used car lots that used band-aids to mask serious problems. Shyster practices were being labeled for what they were.

Folks, after I graduated high-school I attended a vocational auto-repair course and became ASE certified. The entire course was pretty clear insomuch as that it taught the proper procedure for diagnosing defective parts followed by the replacement of those parts (in contrast to the "motor honey & cardboard in the radiator" method I learned in the 'hood).

Now a bizzare Orwellian twist brings us full circle to where we're being fed the line that stop-leak is in fact an acceptable repair method for a blown head gasket.

Guess what?

It aint.

Anyway, that's my little rantobservation, you fill in the blanks.

The US auto market gets horrible service and quality, while the imports do have better initial build quality (the domestics rival that plastic ’55 Chevy model you build when you were 8), the “after the sale” service from the dealers is very American. We see cheap little cars with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and think “wow, that’s really good, how can they do that”. How? Because to most of the rest of the word that’s standard. Why does this happen in the US market?… because we accept it. Is Subaru using “stopleak” for warranty repairs in Japan and Europe? Maybe, but I kinda doubt it.

...buttcrack oil-stain fix it right in the Pep Boyz parking lot technician.

I know that guy… he’s got a b!tchin Camaro. :headbang:

Gary