Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback Frt. Caliper bushing

I own a '97 Outback with worn bushings in the front calipers. I'm the 3rd owner; there's 180k mi. on the car. I'm not sure if the calipers have ever been replaced. The wear is causing play in the caliper resulting in noise during braking and I'm guessing the play will eventually result in more damage. The calipers themselves are working fine; pistons move smoothly. The lock pins (bolts) also slide smoothly and the dust seals are intact. I've been told (by a professional mechanic, but not at a dealer) that the bushings cannot be replaced...the entire caliper must be replaced. I trust this guy to some extent but find it hard to believe that the bushing can't be replaced. I've also been told that in the '96 Outback, the bushing is replaceable. I'd like to save myself $250 in repairs (that's if I do it myself)...

Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Thanks

I own a '97 Outback with worn bushings in the front calipers.

tzrider,

I am curious about the term "bushing". On the caliper you have guide pins, shims and seals, but I haven't run across "bushings" with regards to the brake systems. Can you identify/clarify the term. You do note "pistons move smoothly.. lock pins (bolts) also slide smoothly and the dust seals are intact". Unless there is play in the guide pins (lock pin) or the shims are worn, that's about it. Lastly you can pickup rebuilt calipers for under 60 bucks if it comes down to replacing them:

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EBRAKE+CALIPER+-+FRONT%7C%7E%2470.00%7C%7EARI%7C%7EDRIVER+SIDE+++++++++%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E359788%7C%7E3213%7C%7E12-9713%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2455.99%7C%7ESUBARU%7C%7ELEGACY+OUTBACK%7C%7E1997%7C%7ELLT%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EV

yohy,

Thanks for your reply. The Haynes manual refers to this part as the lock pin sleeve, with 'bushing' in parenthesis. The mechanic also called the part bushings. I assume it's basically there to prevent damage to the caliper itself and to provide a smoother surface for the lock pin to move in. Though if it's there to prevent damage but cannot be replaced, what's the point?

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on cheaper aftermarket calipers as compared to OEM parts? I plan on keeping this car for a few more years and would hate to replace the calipers again.

I had to look up that bushing in my Haynes myself, I'm used to two guide pins on brakes. Is the bushing full of grease? A good moly grease seems like a good idea there, it would help damp vibrations a bit. Is it brass or steel? Could the lock pin be worn? I've seen a lot of worn guide pins, never noticed vibrations from them, sometimes I turn them to wear in a new spot.

tzrider and Scottbaru,

Yeap, I had to reference the Haynes and Chiltons to find a picture of the "bushing". Now my FSM (downloaded version) for the '97 Legacy doesn't show the sleeve/bushing, nor does the picture for the 2.5 version. But as Scottbaru says, I’ve seen worn pins but have never run into the “bushing” being worn out.

Now tzrider to your question “what's your opinion on cheaper aftermarket calipers as compared to OEM parts”, over the years I have replaced many calipers, on various cars and they have all been aftermarket. The link to the Autozone site lists a caliper remanufactured by ARI , I have had great luck with their products. Check out their web site (http://www.ariparts.com/). Anyone who goes through the hassle of getting various certifications (ISO 14001, ISO 9001:2000, BEEP, and many more), is doing things right (IMHO).