Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

front end noise when starting off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 benking

benking

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • West Lafayette

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:52 PM

I am getting a front end noise when starting from a dead stop at a light or stop sign. It seems to only be happening when the cars wheels are pointed straight. The noise is getting slightly worse as time goes on. It sounds like 2 things rubbing or a part very worn down. I was wondering if it could be shocks, but i think it is something in the steering or tie end rods. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

#2 benking

benking

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • West Lafayette

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:00 PM

I am getting a front end noise when starting from a dead stop at a light or stop sign. It seems to only be happening when the cars wheels are pointed straight. The noise is getting slightly worse as time goes on. It sounds like 2 things rubbing or a part very worn down. I was wondering if it could be shocks, but i think it is something in the steering or tie end rods. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

It actually only seems to be when I am making left turns. When making right turn I hear no sound.

Ben

#3 zooma37

zooma37

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:53 PM

It actually only seems to be when I am making left turns. When making right turn I hear no sound.

Ben

Ben,

I have encountered exactly the same problem on my 03 Forester, but I can't figure the problem out. The noise occurs only on tight left turns, not right.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:07 AM

benking, we need some info about your car please. Offhand, I would say it's a CV joint.

#5 zooma37

zooma37

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:11 AM

benking, we need some info about your car please. Offhand, I would say it's a CV joint.

My car's been making that noise almost since I bought it two years ago. If it's a CV joint, how expensive is the repair?

#6 ofairlane

ofairlane

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Thomaston, CT

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

you should provide more info on the noise, cv joints usually make a clicking or a clunking noise when turning.
is the noise on the left, right, middle of the car?
does it make the noise while driving, when accelerating, when accelerating from a stop.
info like this would help us help you more.
update us on this,
DanO

#7 zooma37

zooma37

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

you should provide more info on the noise, cv joints usually make a clicking or a clunking noise when turning.
is the noise on the left, right, middle of the car?
does it make the noise while driving, when accelerating, when accelerating from a stop.
info like this would help us help you more.
update us on this,
DanO

The noise sounds like to pieces of metal rubbing together and it only occurs on sharp/tight, low-speed turns to the left - when I am pulling into my garage. The noise doesn't occur on right turns or driving straight or at faster speeds. I thought maybe the backing plate would be the problem, but not sure.

MD

#8 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:56 AM

Ok, I would suggest brake rubbbing or wheel bearing failure.

#9 zooma37

zooma37

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

[quote name='Setright']Ok, I would suggest brake rubbbing or wheel bearing failure.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your help, Setright. What does brake rubbing mean? Also, the car has been making the noise since I bought it two years ago, and the dealer tells me there's nothing wrong, but I still hear the noise. Are wheel bearings expensive to replace?

#10 zooma37

zooma37

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Southern California

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

I almost forgot one thing - the noise seems worse when the wheel is wet. Any ideas.

#11 turbo92subaru

turbo92subaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

Thanks

Ben

I had the same problem with my legacy. When I replaced my struts I also replaced the strut mounts. The bearing in the strut mount will make noise when turning hard left, if that is the one worn. From a stand still, when you crank your wheel all the way to the left does it make noise. Like a grinding noise. If so bearings in the strut mount could need to be replaced.

#12 Setright

Setright

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

Brakes rubbing could be a simple as the anti-splash plate inside the wheel touching the brake disc.

Come to think of it, the problem could be as simple as some dirt or stones in the spring "pan" on the suspension strut.

I can't comment on prices, since I live in Denmark. I would'nt say that wheel bearing is expensive to fix. Oh, a bearing would also be noisy on the move.

Are the plastic fender liners clipped into place properly? A tyre could be rubbing at full steering lock.

#13 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

I had a similar problem and the dealer said that it was the transfer duty solenoid (whatever that is). It was replaced (under warantee) and I haven't had the noise since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users