Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front end noise when starting off

I am getting a front end noise when starting from a dead stop at a light or stop sign. It seems to only be happening when the cars wheels are pointed straight. The noise is getting slightly worse as time goes on. It sounds like 2 things rubbing or a part very worn down. I was wondering if it could be shocks, but i think it is something in the steering or tie end rods. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

I am getting a front end noise when starting from a dead stop at a light or stop sign. It seems to only be happening when the cars wheels are pointed straight. The noise is getting slightly worse as time goes on. It sounds like 2 things rubbing or a part very worn down. I was wondering if it could be shocks, but i think it is something in the steering or tie end rods. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

It actually only seems to be when I am making left turns. When making right turn I hear no sound.

Ben

It actually only seems to be when I am making left turns. When making right turn I hear no sound.

Ben

Ben,

I have encountered exactly the same problem on my 03 Forester, but I can't figure the problem out. The noise occurs only on tight left turns, not right.

benking, we need some info about your car please. Offhand, I would say it's a CV joint.

My car's been making that noise almost since I bought it two years ago. If it's a CV joint, how expensive is the repair?

you should provide more info on the noise, cv joints usually make a clicking or a clunking noise when turning.

is the noise on the left, right, middle of the car?

does it make the noise while driving, when accelerating, when accelerating from a stop.

info like this would help us help you more.

update us on this,

DanO

you should provide more info on the noise, cv joints usually make a clicking or a clunking noise when turning.

is the noise on the left, right, middle of the car?

does it make the noise while driving, when accelerating, when accelerating from a stop.

info like this would help us help you more.

update us on this,

DanO

The noise sounds like to pieces of metal rubbing together and it only occurs on sharp/tight, low-speed turns to the left - when I am pulling into my garage. The noise doesn't occur on right turns or driving straight or at faster speeds. I thought maybe the backing plate would be the problem, but not sure.

MD

Ok, I would suggest brake rubbbing or wheel bearing failure.[/quote

Thanks for your help, Setright. What does brake rubbing mean? Also, the car has been making the noise since I bought it two years ago, and the dealer tells me there's nothing wrong, but I still hear the noise. Are wheel bearings expensive to replace?

Thanks

Ben

I had the same problem with my legacy. When I replaced my struts I also replaced the strut mounts. The bearing in the strut mount will make noise when turning hard left, if that is the one worn. From a stand still, when you crank your wheel all the way to the left does it make noise. Like a grinding noise. If so bearings in the strut mount could need to be replaced.

Brakes rubbing could be a simple as the anti-splash plate inside the wheel touching the brake disc.

Come to think of it, the problem could be as simple as some dirt or stones in the spring "pan" on the suspension strut.

I can't comment on prices, since I live in Denmark. I would'nt say that wheel bearing is expensive to fix. Oh, a bearing would also be noisy on the move.

Are the plastic fender liners clipped into place properly? A tyre could be rubbing at full steering lock.