Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shock lift on the rear of a brat with air.

Phizinza

I have a 2" lift. I found that I do have strut lift on the front (after thinking I didn't, but I see it now) I don't have it on the rear. I have Air shocks btw, does that make it different? I just want to know what metal I should use to make the rear strut lift. I've seen pictures of the bracket, But can't figure out what metal to use. 5mm alloy? 5mm steel? Anyone?

I really just want a 4" lift kit. But I bought a rollbar and bullbar so m budget is ferther out the window now (thanks bro for the loan!)

Righteo, first thing is Brats/Brumbys don't have rear struts, they have rear shocks. Just for future reference so you know.

Perhapse the rear shock lift brackets have been removed from your vehicle because the air shocks were installed? Perhapse the rear shocks are long enough?

Either way, installing a lift bracket won't give you any more height (cos like I said, they aren't struts they're just shocks), you need to lift the whole tortion tube and also the moustache bar. Have you tried winding up the tortion bar?

Unfortunately, the best way to get a 4" lift is to use a 4" lift kit. Considering you could probably sell your 2" kit for $300-$400 a BYB 4" lift is not a massive outlay.

Don't use too much suspension lift, for 3 reasons: You'll stuff your CV joints quicker than lookatcha; Your whole suspension geometry will be totally up the ************ making your car handle like a dog on wet lino; Lastly you'll simply loose suspension travel making your car actually less capable offroad. Also, if you go the 4" you really need the tires to make it worth it, and if you're going to put kick rump roast treads on the thing you should consider an engine transplant...

BTW: Rear shock lift brackets should be 12mm steel.

I made that misstake again... damn it, I'll really try to call them shocks in future. Thanks.

I've jacked the rear torsion bar up full, ony problem is when I go on uneven surface one wheel instantly comes off the ground, turning my car into a 2WD and most of the time 0WD becuase of the diff's.

So I am going to lower the back suspension back down and also the front. I've used the "coil over things" (them two bolts that compress the spring) Anyway, I've wound them up real tight, I'm putting back to stock 2" lift in a bit. So.. I've also though of the engine transplant. But that would have to wait awhile, as I need a job first. I already have a intrest free loan with my brother and its upto $5500, I do have a bike and some computers to sell. But still leaves me with $1500 I need to pay off. The guy I got the car off of was offed $1500 for the motor only. Its a little suped up. And then theres the cost of new tyres..... So, I guess I'll just lower the car a bit and wait till I can aford new lift kit, tyres, and all the other parts I need.

Thanks for your help. I need to fit the new rollbar tonight, should look awesome, if I get it done I'll post it up. :D

P.S. all the $ in this post are in AUD Australia dollars, thats why they look a little high :-p

I reckon if you wound it down again you'd be pleasantly suprised by your offroad success - although come to think of it fitting rear shock extensions would improve your results a little (won't get any more height though).

Really a 2" Brumby isn't going to be a monster, but you'll be able to enjoy it - especially on the beach.

Ground clearance really isn't a huge issue with Subarus, they've got a good wheelbase and nothing really hanging down underneath to hang up, so your only dramas are wheel travel.

One word of advice from my old man: The only thing you should go into debt for is your house. Everything else you'll regret.

One word of advice from my old man: The only thing you should go into debt for is your house. Everything else you'll regret.

hahaha, i think i should of heard that 2 years ago ! its just too much fun having a pocketpc to surf the net anywhere in the house, and 200watt sub for the living room, and one for car, and its too much fun in my subie! I'll look into doing shock lift on the rear. I've already asked BYB for a quote on a 4" kit and postage. i'll just have to get a job very soon.