Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hesitation and intermittent lost power OB-2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Suby00

Suby00

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

I want to start with thanking everyone contributing to the Message Board. A lot of invaluable info.

My problem started with the famous engine hesitation at low rpm when taking off at traffic lite for example. With time it was on and off and it got worse. The car started loosing power intermittently and I really had to press the gas pedal to get it going at times. When cold though (the first 5 min was just fine). Until a week ago when the CEL (Check Engine Light) came on. So I read all I could find about the "hesitating engine" on this Message board. Went to the Subie dealer and change the fuel filter first to no effect, then I bought the O2 sensor, but couldn't remove it from the exhaust. In the mean time I disconnected the connector (really tricky) and connected it again. The problem was a lot less obvious. I did drive the car for another day and went to the local garage to replace the sensor. They put the car on to computer and got the code for leaky exhaust system. I insisted on changing the O2 sensor. This was it, faulty O2 Sensor. Now the car is running like brand new again.

Thanks again to all contributors to this Message board.
Greg

#2 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

From the start there it sounded like bad CV's... for some reason. my girlfriend has a 96 legacy, and it has that problem sometimes, i'll have to check it out, thanks!

#3 muse

muse

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Crestline

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

It's interesting that the code was for leaky exhaust and that the O2 sensor ended up being the problem. What did they want to do instead of replacing the O2 sensor? Is there an exhaust leak at all?

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

muse, the ECU thinks there is an exhuast leak because the O2 sensor is returning bogus values.

#5 muse

muse

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Crestline

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the answer. Ah, the wonderful world of computers!

#6 Suby00

Suby00

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

It's interesting that the code was for leaky exhaust and that the O2 sensor ended up being the problem. What did they want to do instead of replacing the O2 sensor? Is there an exhaust leak at all?

Apologies for the late reply.

As Setright said, the computer was reading bad signal from the front O2 sensor. There was some small leak after the sensor on the exhaust and the garage suspected that to be the problem for the CEL being on. That obviously could not have been the reason for the hesitation, so I insisted on changing the sensor and then the CEL disappear also. The car has been running fine since.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users