Ultimate Subaru Message Board

from trouble free Honda to nothing but..Forester

I have owned my used 30,000 mile, 2002 Forester S for 6 months and am now going on my 4th check engine light issue.

#1 cel - alleged cross threaded gas cap

#2 cel- 1 day after gas cap error the cel came back on and I was told I had a blockage in the torque converter clutch, which was repaired.

#3 cel- code PO 130 (air fuel sensor lean) air sensor replaced.

#4 cel -cel back on in less than a month of #3. Just got back from Auto Zone and code is now PO 442 (evap. systems-small leak).

I sold my 1998 Honda Civic with 90.000 miles and bought the 2002 Forester S with 30,000 miles in hopes of avoiding nickel and diming for awhile. I guess the jokes on me.

It just doesn't seem right to me that I should be having these issues so soon?

I pretty much told the dealership service manager this and he said there are no guarantees and did not have even a morsel of sympathy.

Subarus, Hondas, and Toyotas all have great reputations and I am very frustrated.

Any suggestions, sympathy, lectures, anything, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks so much.

Debby

Debby,

Welcome to the Board!

The gas cap one is a non-issue or worse case an easy fix.

That one is just not a big one to worry about.

I'd think you probably have more cel's than one would expect for a car with 30k.

Give it a chance...and see how the car behaves

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--no computer, no problems!

01 Forester--just experienced the gas cap one so far...

Cross-threaded gas cap? I have a hard time buying that. I am an expert on cross-threading. I've cross-threaded everything from the lids on orange juice cartons to both of my transmission crossmember to frame bolts. (I swear, the crossmember changed shape while it was off the car.) Gas caps have very coarse threads, and you'd know if you were cross threading it.

So, #1 and #4: just make sure the engine doesn't run with a loose gas cap, and if your cap is defective, replace it with one from the stealership.

#3: Oxygen sensors wear out. Normally they go for 100k miles or so, so 30k is disappointing, but they're not terribly expensive or difficult to replace.

#2: No idea. I'm glad I don't own an AT, though I acknowledge their place in the world.

Anyway, my opinion is that you may have had a bit of bad luck, but nothing major. Hopefully, you'll get many issue-free years of service out of your Forester.

I know your pain. I sold my acura and got a legacy. Within 6 months I did even more repairs and more costly ones. (not even going to get into which ones) I often tried to sell the car. And thought about trading it in. But I am too much in over my head to do such a thing. The best thing to do is to take a deep breath..maybe sometimes spit on the car (makes you feel better). But there is some hope after I finally fixed everything the car is just awesome. Plan to get many years of service out of my car. And I imagine you will too especially since it is a forestor. Just be thankful a boyracer didn't own the car before you. I think a girlracer owned my car and thats why I've been having so many issues.