Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tranny cooler

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tomson1355

tomson1355

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Upstate

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

An aftermarket tranny cooler gets recommended here on a regular basis. I'd like to keep the 4EAT on my 97 Legacy GT w/ 175000m functioning for another 175k. Will a tranny cooler help? I see light, medium and heavy duty coolers at a parts site. Anybody wanna recommend one? And is installation straightforward for someone who is competent but not exactly a real mechanic?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

#2 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

Do heavy duty if you tow.
Very easy to install. If your winters are cold, find one with termostat control (B&M are popular brand).
However, if your tranny survived 175000, then maybe you don't need a cooler after all. Another consideration is Synthetic ATF, as it is known to decrease temp a few degrees.

#3 tomson1355

tomson1355

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Upstate

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Thanks, FJ. No towing. I was experiencing transmission slip when it was warm, but I think I've decided that it was caused by air in the cooling system from seeping HGs. I don't think the transmission was getting cooled properly. My theory anyway. But I think I'll install a cooler in hopes of never having to do tranny repair.

I'd like to put synthetic ATF in, as I run AMSOIL in all our vehicles with good results. But the transmission takes 10 qts so I don't know if I'll spring for it.

Thanks again.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users