Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stalling, lurching, rough idle

My 2000 Subaru Outback is stalling, lurching and having a very rough idle when I come to a stop and when I start moving again. The check engine light has not gone on and there are no error codes when a computer check is done. It was intermittent (every 2 - 3 days) for a while, but now is a constant problem. No bad vacuum hoses, TPS was replaced about six weeks ago, throttle plate was cleaned. Any ideas? I can't use the car any more and I'm desperate to get it back to working order. Dealer says no error codes, but that the air flow sensor reading was off range. My regular mechanic says that the 2000 Legacy Outback does not have a mass air sensor, but has a MAPS. I've read some suggestions about replacing the air fuel ratio sensor and having the ECU reflashed. Please advise - I can't afford to rent a car for much longer. Thanks.

It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to replace the maps and have the ecu reflashed. Also, is it AT or MT?

Automatic. Do you think the maps vs. the air fuel ratio sensor (which has also been suggested)? Thanks for the quick response.

It seems to me like if either of these things were bad you'd be getting codes off your ecu.. Can you afford to have it diagnosed? (not just hook up a port to the ecu) Can you afford to replace the maps and the fuel/air sensor? Could be a tranny problem? Checked your fluid in there? Are you running the 2.5 model in your outback? Have you done a compression check on your cylinders?

It seems to me like if either of these things were bad you'd be getting codes off your ecu.. Can you afford to have it diagnosed? (not just hook up a port to the ecu) Can you afford to replace the maps and the fuel/air sensor? Could be a tranny problem? Checked your fluid in there? Are you running the 2.5 model in your outback? Have you done a compression check on your cylinders?

What do you mean by "not just hooked up to the ecu". Transmission fluid seems fine. Haven't had a compression check done. Would it stall if the transmission or cylinders were bad? (I'm on a steep learning curve here!)

Fuel filter? When I went through the "bad gas" incident, the dealer changed the fuel filter, put in gas drier AND ended up reprogramming the ECU. It did the trick for the conditions that you listed above.( BTW, I had no codes also.) Keep us updated.

my 01 OB had the TPS replaced in JAN 05, and was back in due to mis-installation. same symptoms.

Poor shifting, hesitation...

Maybe 'mumbles' forgot to install them correctly. Seems the TPS has much to say with the ECM and TCM on these things. Once it was adjusted, she is back to driving better all the time.

Good Luck.