Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1800 into '78?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1978brat

1978brat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • North Idaho

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

I was wondering if the 1800 bolts right up to the trans-axle in my '78 brat. i know that the engines are the same size, exterior dimensions-wise, but i wasn't quite sure about the internals, splines, etc. i was rebuilding my 1600 when i scored this 1800 for free, and it's only got like 35000 original miles on it. i was really hopin' to use it with out pullin' the transaxle, but it's no biggie if i have to is it? lemme know asap if ya got any info for me. thanks a ton,

Flynt

#2 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,847 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

If the 1800 has the starter top mounted, then yes it will bolt in. If it has a side mounted starter (will be off to the driver's side) then it won't unless you either A. get an 1800 tranny that will have the same bellhousing that matches the engine or B. if it'll work, bolt the 1600 belhousing to the 1800 engine and it should mate up.

#3 1978brat

1978brat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • North Idaho

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

thanks,
option b was my original plan. just have the 1800 engine bolt right to the 1600 trans-axle and bell housing, etc. and, how's wiring match up? as far as i can see, everything looks the same or very easily changable. anything i should be aware of? thanks for your help.

Flynt

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,847 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:55 AM

everything should be the same since they did use the same carb depending on the year of car it was taken from. If it's the two barrel Hitachi, it'll be the same but if it is the one barrel Carter-Weber, you'll have to do a swap to the two barrel in order for it to be the same. Search around, a few people have swapped and posted about it

#5 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

welcome!

i looked into this...
ok there is no such thing as a top mounted starter on an 1800 engine...

i went and found the only 81 brat in the area and took a look...

if you can get the bellhousing to fit then you're half way there...

you also need the belly pan from and 1800... or fab something to make it fit... the mounting points aren't the same from what i saw...

#6 bratsrus1

bratsrus1

Race car

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  • Selah Washington

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hey Zefy This is Jerry,i call BS on that one because i have a EA81 with a 5 speed front wheel drive 86 hatch that has that bellhousing. It will be up for sale when i part the car out soon. Thanks Jerry

#7 subGSR

subGSR

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • waikaia southland NZ

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:47 AM

The EA81 is wider than the EA71 as it has a longer stroke to give it the cc rating of 1800. The bellhousing of a EA71 will not fit the EA81. The intake manifold of a EA71 will not fit a EA81. The starter motor is on the top of the EA71 and on the side in the EA81.

#8 1978brat

1978brat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • North Idaho

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

so, back to my original question....am i going to be able to fit the ea81 into by brat with ease, or am i gonna need to do some fab work, etc.? i planned on taking the whole transaxle, and engine out as one. i was pretty sure they wouldn't match up, i was just checking. thanks for all the help.

Flynt

#9 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

the EA-81 tranny will fit in and the holes to mount the tranny mounts are there and should be tapped so it can be easily bolted in

you will need the clutch cable from the doner car

the linkage for the main shifter should work but the 4wd shifter might need to be modified a lil bit at the end to make it work but should be ok for the rest of it cause the holes are there for the shifter tent

the 1800 will work just need to get the throttle cable from the doner too IIRC but all and all everything should fit

#10 Rockman

Rockman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flagstaff, AZ

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:59 PM

I've thought of doing this as well. Question. If you install the EA81 and matching transmission can you use the driveshaft from the EA71 or do you need the one that went with the EA81?

#11 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

same driveshafts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users