Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat wont start

cpiunno

My Brat wont turn over at all. I am able to jumpstart it so I went ahead and bought a new battery. I drove it around for 15 minutes with the new battery in and it still wont start. Like the battery isn't charging at all. The alternator is measuring 14 volts. The alternator was replaced 2 months ago and has been working for 2 months. I checked all fuses are good. What else could affect the charging system, other than thsi new alternator being bad?

if you have a click but no start. it can be a bad starter. the contacts get worn out after a while. jump starting could have given it the extra juice to close the contacts. gently beat on the starter with a piece of wood while someone holds it in the crank position. if it starts its a starter problem. there are more things to chech but thats the easyest.

good luck

Thanks for the help guys. The starter suggestion reminded me of a problem I had with my Eclipse a while back where it wouldn't turn over at all. I made the assumption that if the terminals were going bad that the car would be hard to start, not that it wouldnt turn over at all. I went ahead and replaced the battery terminals and its working good now. I'm always overlooking the little stuff.