Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Outback with 56k miles and the 4cycl engine. Here is the problem.

About two months ago, the A/C started blowing warm air at low speeds or idle. Once you get going 45mph, it gets back to normal cold air. It would not do this all the time just on occassion.

Then this past weekend the car started over heating. At idle the car runs hotter than normal but does not over heat. Once you start going down the road it overheats fairly quickly and starts blowing warm air out of the A/C. I don't know if or how the two problem could be related.

Last night I changed out the thermostat, and then changed the oil and air filter as part of normal maintance. I did not notice the oil having any water in it and the coolant than came out when I changed the therm. was clean. Any ideas on why the car is overheating? Thanks!

TP

I would check for a vacuum leak for the warm air problem. The air vents may be moving due to a lack of vacuum.

To see if the overheating is caused by a head gasket problem I would get a block check done as soon as possible. If it is a leak you should get it fixed as soon as you can to prevent further damage.

The car doesn't seem old enough to have a blockage in the radiator.