Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Running Subaru

Nukearu

I just purchased my first running Subaru... A 4wd 83 GL wagon. It runs ok...Kind of peppy with decent gas milage (about 26 mpg), however it has kind of a sporadic idle, it also has a strong sulfer smell about 2 min after I start it up in the morning.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the smell and/or the idle would be great.

Also any thoughts on putting in an MSD ignition.

Thanks,

Alan

hail naw! gut it all you polease. i would suggets you replace it with a y-pipe off an ea82 spfi. it will flow better, and fits the same. but you will have to leave in a dummy o2 sensor to plug the hole

it will fit on you rtranny exhaust mount and fit on the existing midpipe. the front part comes down farther, because of the crossmember of an ea82, but it well still fit like it's supposed to

two issues i can think of with a sulfer smell, one if you get rid of the cat you won't pass emissions, in Wa that may or may not affect you, if the cat is bad its because of somthing else, usually the engine is running rich, my guess because of the lopey idle is that you have an ignition miss in one cylinder, either way with it running rich it will burn out the new cat soon as well.

you are in the land of soobs a plenty! i have to go through scrapping my own rides just to have a pipe. i consider all of my parts gold, because i am the only one who has them!

i couldnt tell you how much parts go for out west, but you could almost buy a car thet runs and drives for less than i would pay for a pipe from a car that has been rusting out for years.

it shouldnt be too much, maybe you can have one for around 25 bucks.

if you were from around here, your question instead would be "Where can i FIND an ea82 y pipe?"

good luck!