Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this message board but I have consulted it from time to time since the purchase of my used 2001 H6 VDC (41000 mi then, 56000 mi now). I remember when I first purchased my car I read on this (or another?) message board that somebody had found a way to download the service manuals (from Subaru?) in a PDF format for a one time fee of like $25. Does this ring a bell for anyone? If so, what is the site that provides this service?

Also, my wife and I went camping over the 4th and noticed something new. We had a full load, including a yakima rocket box and two bikes on the roof. We live in the eastern Sierra and our trips often take us over passes ranging from 7000 - 8200 ft in elevation. When climbing over a few of these passes last weekend, every time we downshifted to third hit around 3900 RPM the engine would lurch in a bucking motion until I either floored it or let off. Is this the point that the secondary valves open up on an H6? I don't think it was trying to downshift as it improved when I floored it. My planned approach is going to be to replace the spark plugs, air cleaner, and fuel filter (all things that I have not done yet since I have owned the car) and then see if the problem goes away. It strikes me as an electrical problem (gulp) but I am hoping one of these quick fixes will do the trick. Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

I remember when I first purchased my car I read on this (or another?) message board that somebody had found a way to download the service manuals (from Subaru?) in a PDF format for a one time fee of like $25. Does this ring a bell for anyone? If so, what is the site that provides this service?

Subaru Factory Service Manual at:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp

Regards,

diga

The engine is fuel injected so there are no secondary jets. The problem may be due to a bad spot on the throttle position sensor. Also check the airfilter and fuel filter to see if they are dirty. If these things don't help fix the problem I would check the fuel pressure to see if that is ok. The fuel pump may be getting weak. It would be good to check for any trouble codes in the ECU also.