Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My 91 Legacy is HOT HOT HOT!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:47 AM

Hi Guys,

A peculiar little development in my Soob. The other day while waiting "patiently" in a drive thru, I noticed that my temp gauge was slowly climbing. Not really worried, I heard my fans come on, so I waited another few minutes. It finally got near the red, so I shut it off while I still waited for my food. Since then, I've paid close attention to the temp gauge and that fan sound. I keep hearing the fans turn on, if I sit at a light for a minute, but the temp gauge does not rise. :confused: I'm thinking of just doing a coolant change, and maybe mixing about 70% H20 / 30% AF to boost the cooling properties of the mixture (Water can absorb more heat energy than antifreeze). Besides that and possibly a new thermostat, any other ideas??? Thanks in advance!

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

#2 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:02 PM

first thing to check is that the radiator fins are not blocked with dirt, bugs, etc. run a hose through it to deslodge some of the external crud.

chances are, if you have the original radiator, it is probably getting old and plugged internally. while the radiator is warm, you can feel around it with your hand to see if there are any cool spots relative to the surrounding area. this can indicate a blocked or restricted passage. you can also have it flow tested at a radiator shop, but your best bet is to probably just change it if changing the coolant doesn't help.

#3 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:13 PM

I am pretty sure it is the original radiator. It does not leak at all, so I don't really think a new one is necessary. Though, I have been wrong before. :D <---(same guy who thought a cracked and bending clutch fork was a bad pressure plate! :-p) Once I flush and refill the radiator, AND clean out the fins, I'll post back. thanks for the quick reply!

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

#4 Tolerance02

Tolerance02

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Flanders

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:40 PM

'91 and the original radiator? Take a close look to the front side of the right plastic cap. Across the upper hose connection. I bet there is a vertical crack leaking coolant.
Fill up with water and let the engine warm up and you will see.

Urban.

#5 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:56 PM

a leaking radiator is not the only way a radiator goes bad. if the cooling systems has been neglected (or even treated well), the passages become blocked with corrosion and crud. the only way to really check for this is to either use a spot thermometer or flow test it. a radiator shop should be able to do either/both to tell you the internal condition of the radiator.

#6 Tolerance02

Tolerance02

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Flanders

Posted 14 September 2003 - 03:26 PM

I fully agree (other) Skip, but there is no reason to test, flush and/or coolant change if there is a crack. Dose it?
And i know the radiators from Legacy of that building years ('90-'91) do crack there. I'd be surprised if thisone should not be.

#7 camosuba

camosuba

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Brisbane Australia

Posted 14 September 2003 - 06:09 PM

your car is also at the age where the thermostat goes to heaven so while your changing stuff do it as well!

#8 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:47 PM

UPDATE:

Ok, I checked the radiator. It looks in good shape, and is NOT LEAKING near the small plastic plug on the passenger side (whew) though I did need to clean it out. (damn Michigan skeeters) My fluid was a bit on the low side (forgot to mention that, sorry :o ). When I get some extra time I am going to flush the system and put in new coolant, but she has been running fairly cool now that I cleaned out the radiator fins. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

ScoobySchmitty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users