Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

84 Turbo Wagon...What Should My Little Buddy Idle At?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lastchance

lastchance

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • City

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:42 PM

Well...
The subject heading basically asks the question.

My 1984 turbo wagon (AT obviously) seems to be idling low. I've noticed this for a while but, thought it was just worn/loose drive belts. I replaced both belts and I still get the same low idle. Here's a break down:

Start the car cold, idles to like 1k-1.2k...Normal
Start the car when warm, idles at like 500...Hmm

It's not a starting problem, but when the car warms up to normal operating temperature, it idles real low.

So, with the car idling so low, I'll come to a stop sign with my headlights and blinker on and the RPMS will be at 500 and my volt meter will read less than 12v, usually sitting somewhere in the red, like the 9-10v range. As soon as I give the car gas (gettin the belts going/RPMs up) the volts will go right back up to what they should be.

Hmmm...
So, what do you guys think?

-Dan

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:25 PM

Warm idle should be between 800-1000 rpm. Cold should be between 1.5-2k. Not sure where to adjust on the EA81T, but its not hard to increase the idle.

-Brian

#3 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:24 PM

a below 1000 rpm idle for a soob is considered normal.

about 700 or 800 rpm it will say on the specs sticker under the hood.

as long as it doesnt stall you are good. is your alt bad?
if nothing dims at low idle then you are good to go!!!

#4 lastchance

lastchance

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • City

Posted 15 September 2003 - 12:55 AM

Blehh...

See that's the thing...I'm pretty sure it should be idling somewhere between 700 and 800 rpm's.

The headlights get dim when I come to a stop, so I'm sorta thinkin it might be the alternator but, I want to adjust the idle and determine if that's the problem before I go out and get a new/used alternator, know what I mean??? :eh:

Here's my thoughts...

Low idle=dim headlights=Cost of adjusting idle=Free :D
Low idle=dim headlights=new alternator=ehhh, I don't want to think about it. :-\ :-\ :-\

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:03 AM

you could do the poor man's fix by tightening up the throttle cable a hair. it adjusts with the 12mm nuts. adjust them so it ightens up the cable enough to get enough rpm to keep volts up

se if you can get a volt meter and chek for voltage. you should have a good 14 volts. check that before boosting your idle up.

if its anything less than 14 volts, replace the alternator

auto zone ovffers free alternator testing. just drive there and take the alt off on site to have it tested, put it back on to leave!

#6 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:07 AM

As long as you don't mind the noise, go for it. In drive/reverse you're car is really gonna want to start moving by itself though. If you go too high you'll have to ride the brakes constantly in the parking lot to keep from speeding :headbang:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users