Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dash lightbulb replacement?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rice Burner

Rice Burner

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • morgantown, wv

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:45 PM

Hey, I have a 97 impreza outback sport. The bulb that lights the air vent controls on the dash went out and i was wondering how difficult it was to replace the bulb, or if anyone had done this before. Thanks, allen

#2 North Ursalia

North Ursalia

aka Captain Morgan

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Margaritaville

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:38 PM

It's a pain in the rump roast, but the bulbs are dirt cheap. They are one of the parts that follow the "price vs. ease of install" rule; if it costs the same as a kidney, it will be easy to install. If it costs $0.35, it will take a month and a pint of blood to get it installed :).

#3 sam45

sam45

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:47 PM

I coudn't agree more with Brian. But, if you want to save a few bucks, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, it may be worthwhile....:)
Yes, I did this before, but mine is a 96' Legacy, 2.2 Wagon. I am not sure if this applies to you...It took me a whole saturday afternoon and had to take out the cupholder, bezel, detach the heater cable, unplug wire harness and take out the climate control unit. Now begins the tricky part, to figure out how to get to the bulbs! , the parts in the control unit are very delicate. Things that look like they are fused together can be actually slid open, however this must be done very carefully and in the right direction. Once you figure out how (without breaking anything), the rest is easy with the stock bulbs as they come mounted on a base (cost little more). But if you want to go the extra mile and save more.. you can get bulbs from Radio Shack (12 volt mini bulbs) for less than a dollar. These must be mounted on the old base as they do not come with the bases. I did both (2 from the dealer and one from Radio Shack).
One last piece of advise, if you are planning to do, make sure that you test it properly before putting everything back...
I ended up repeating this again a month later as one of the bulbs was not lighting. It turned out to be loose and all I had to do was tighten it...Now it is almost 2 years and fortunately no problems...:)
Good luck!!!

#4 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 15 September 2003 - 07:34 PM

climate control backlight

Commuter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users