Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake job...pushing in caliper piston..

on the older Sub's you had to rotate the caliper piston in order to push them back in

my niece has a 96 Legacy---I'm doing the rears...it's obvious that they do not need to be "screwed in"....but, do people generally just push them in with a clamp or break the bleeder screw open , then push them in?

BTW--what do the fronts look like (screw in type still?)

thanks

on the older Sub's you had to rotate the caliper piston in order to push them back in

my niece has a 96 Legacy---I'm doing the rears...it's obvious that they do not need to be "screwed in"....but, do people generally just push them in with a clamp or break the bleeder screw open , then push them in?

BTW--what do the fronts look like (screw in type still?)

thanks

You don't have to open a bleeder screw, just unscrew the master cylinder resivoir. Just keep an eye on the resivoir so it doesn't overflow when you press the piston back in. Use a C-clamp and one of the pads to press the piston back in. I use a special tool you can get at any auto parts store to press it back in. The rears are single piston while the fronts are double piston. They're basically the same. A c-clamp and the old pad would work fine pressing in the double pistons.