Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 don't have exhaust manifolds??

Well... yes... but also... no... :cornfuzz:

EA-82 (and i'm pretty sure all others) use a header pipe setup, or "y" pipe. So... no, they don't have "exhaust manifolds." The exhaust ports DO converge at the head.

Just be careful and use plenty of WD-40 when you take them off... Steel bolts in an aluminum head + lots of heat usually = big headache. An impact wrench can be very helpful here too. Just be VERY careful when you go to put it back on that it is torqued properly (do not try to get that "extra half turn" out of it).

Rich

Well, my Legacy has two distinct holes. They're very close together, though. So that means the Legacy technically has "manifolds" since the exhaust for the two cylinders exits the heads from two separate locations. The XT evidently has no "manifolds", since the exhaust ffor the two cylinders exits the heads from one common location...

I've never done headwork on a Subie, but it is apparent to me that the intake valves are at opposite ends of the engine, and the exhaust valves are in between them. In other words, the front cylinders (1 and 2) have the intakes in front of the exhausts, and the rear cylinders (3 and 4) have the exhausts in front of the intakes...

I love learning this stuff :D

The whole "Y pipe" is a manifold in the literal sense of the word. I usally break them up into two parts though. Headers and catalytic converter. They are one assembly however and it is a manifold. Only reason I consider them seperate parts is becuase I cut off the headers and make my own exhuast with them :)

Wow... I unbolted the manifolds, well 3 bolts anyway. The back nut on the driver's manifold was MISSING!!! So I replaced the crap gaskets and bought new nuts to put on. I tightened them down good, but not really good, I know, heads are aluminum:-\

The car is definitely quieter, a tiny bit more torquey, and get this... it's running cooler :eh: