Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips for XT xmission replacement?

Okay, I'm going to be replacing the push button 4wd, single range, 5sp transmisison in my '87 Turbo XT, any one have any tips to make the job go easy?

I've never pulled an xmission before. I've done the half shafts, timing belts, radiator, air to coil suspension swap, and now it's time to try something harder. :D

I've got the new transmission being shipped now, still need to find a new drive shaft, so I've got some time to prepare. Surely I'll replace the clutch, and I guess the exhaust has to come off, so might be a good time to replace that mashed downpipe if I can. Anything else while I'm in there? Tips on getting it in/out? This will be done in the garage, so I guess the ticket is to support the frame on some sturdy blocks.

Any suggestions?

John Wilke

Milwaukee

A helper is the best tool to have after a nice stable floor jack(wider really is better :)) Popping the knuckle off the ball joint gives you enough room to remove the axle from the tranny. Also if you buy a 14 mm wobble socket and a 12" extension you'll be a happier person. Of course be sure to get a clutch alignment tool(basically a splined sex toy) to make life easier.

why would you replace your driveshaft? if you are swapping in another 5spd, or dual range, it will fit.

remove the turbo shroud and unbolt the downpipe from the back of the motor, the side of the tranny, and the rear of the tranny, and from the rest of the exhaust.

if you have i ahoist you can pull the motor out first, do seals and belts or whatever, and lower the tranny into the car from under the hood......

drop the tranny with its crossmember, just unbolt the crossmember from the car, still attatched to the tranny.

you can pull the tranny with all the shift linkage still attatched

jack the car up on its side, it will give you more room to mess with the driveshaft, exhaust, and of course the tranny. that way the tranny bellhousing will clear the underside of the car. you may have to swing the rump roast end of the tranny around to the side ogf the car, and lift up on it so the bell housing will come out from under the framerail.

remove the 3 bolts that hold the pitch bar mount before you drop the trans, and remove the starter so it will clear the firewall

drain all the gear oil out before pulling the driveshaft, as the rear seal will leak out all over the floor, and you dont want to lay in a mess!

when you go back tohether, put the starter in last--that way you can tighten the pressure plate bolts through the starter!

when pulling the axles off the trans, or putting them back on, simmply move the tranny over to one side to do each axle, but this is if the motor is out.

i highly recommend pulling the motor first, it will make the job WAY easier, and you can service at least the rear crank seal while youre at it!

if you undo the motor mounts and jack up the tranny, you can get to the bottom stud's nuts better.

if you are going to leave the motor in the car, unbolt the motor mounts from the crossmember and jack the motor up a few inches, so the tranny will slide off the back without hanging up on the crossmember. you will want to leave the motor up to put it back on