Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vibration/Shaking in new Forester

Hello,

I purchased a new '05 Forester back in December. I quickly noticed that the card shakes when I'm stopped at a light or parked with the engine running. I called the dealership and they told me Subaru was aware of the problem, it was a computer issue, and as soon as they got a fix he'd let me know. He said it he didn't know when it would be available, but it could take at least a month. Car was ok to drive in the meantime.

A month goes by, I call, nothing. I wait another month, nothing. And again a third. In the meantime, I call a different dealership (this one much closer to home) and they say bring the car in. They check it out and say that they drove it for 10 miles and didn't feel a thing. They said make sure you use good gas in the car, especially within the first 5k miles. I'm suspicious. This is my 3rd Subaru and none have ever shaken like this one.

I call Subaru. They said they never heard of the computer issue, new to them, wait 'till after the break-in period and it should be fine. It's just the way the engine is mounted to the car. It's normal.

Another month, I take the car in to the 2nd dealership for an oil change. I tell them the car is still shaking, don't bother driving it 10 miles, it doesn't shake when it's being driven, it's when it's stopped. They say the car's ready, nothing's wrong with it. Driving home I realize the car barely shakes at all, just the regular vibration of a regular car with the engine running. Great! Feels great!

A few weeks go by and the car is shaking again. The car now has 4900 miles and I have not used any gas other than Mobil or Citgo, mostly regular but use super every 6th fill or so. My husband has checked the spark plugs, air filter & other misc. items, but he can't figure it out either.

Any ideas? I feel I'm getting the run-around. I don't think this is normal. Does anyone else have a new Forester that vibrates at idles?

Any ideas, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. If this is normal, confirmation would be great as well to ease my mind.

Thank you.

Rosana

My 97 Legacy wagon started shaking when stoped at lights or stop signs when it is in drive, if i put it in N. it stops. I was not able to find the problem and latter the engine got trashed because an idle pully came apart. I had the motor replaced with a low mileage engine and it also shakes. So it must have something to do with the parts that were taken from the old engine and put on the replacement engine. My thoughts right now is leaning towards the idle air control valve. But that is only a wild guess.

The idle air control valve is expenise, that is why i have not changed mine. Make sure they dont change it just as a shot in the dark. If they find the problem be sure and post back, this seems to be a common problem. I looked on the search feature of this sight and found that we are not the only ones with this problem. Also found out that no one seems to know the reason they do this. After looking back at your post I see you should still be in warranty so maybe the cost of an idle air control valve wont matter.

A question. When this happens (stopped), if you touch the gas a hint to change the rpm (say by even 50 rpm), does the shaking go away?

Sounds like it might be a resonance issue to me. I had this happen in my 97 OB after I put on a lightweight crank pulley. A while later (when engine work was being done), I upgraded to the liquid filled engine mounts. The different dampening characteristic of the new mounts was all it took to get rid of the shaking.

Btw, when I did the "hint" of rpm change, the shaking would stop. Actually, I would describe mine as having been more of a rocking than shaking.

Commuter

Rough idle is almost always related to lean fuel mixture. The ecu controls the idle speed, so that is not adjustable, the most likely suspect here would he the oxygen sensor. I have seen poorly calibrated O2 sensors cause this problem in STi before.

If the problem is severe, (your friends comment, the coffee will not stay in the cup...) I would hound the dealer until it is fixed. Multiple trips or extended stays at the dealer service center can easily get you another '05 Forester! The key here is to drive another one. Go see the sales dept /Ask the service manager for a loaner car that is the exact same model as yours. If the problem is in the other car too, there is no problem, and everything is normal. If not....

If you are in Portland, Oregon stop by our shop!

-Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

GREAT SUGGESTIONS!!

It would be easiest to go drive another and compare. They should still have some 05's on the lot. I'll see if I can get to that today. If not, some time next week (closed tomorrow).

If there is a problem with mine, I will jot down everything you guys suggested on this thread and take it with me to the dealership's service department and have them look it all over. Being that it's still under warranty (thank goodness!), I'll demand it.

By the way, my friends do comment and although the coffee doesn't spill, it does come close.

I will certainly post and let you guys know my progress. I did see that others had this problem, but that no one had any answers. It may take me a while to get back to you guys (get appointment, day off, etc), but bear with me and I will.

In the meantime, any more suggestions to take with me to the service department are welcome! :)

Rosana

My 05 Imp does something similar, but it's pretty managable in my case (so far). If I use cheap gas, Citgo or AM-PM or Costco, I HAVE to put in mid-grade at least or the car shakes at idle. Hitting the gas just a *hint* as Commuter mentioned makes it go away. My old subie did that, so when the new one hopped on the bandwagon (after its first tank of cheaper gas) I swore off the 87 octane and now only use 89 or 92. It just isn't worth the 10-30 cents a gallon to listen to my car suffer.

I hope yours perks up. Would the computer be getting confused by you switching from low-grade to premium every few tanks?

Kaja