Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disty gear swap

Blue84Hatch

I have all the parts to do a carbed EA81 to SPFI swap. I just don't get what the hell I am supposed to do with the disty gears. Is there anyone out there that has completed this swap and would be interested in swapping the disty gears for me. I have everything just let me know. I will pay you plus pay shipping there and back. Carbed subies suck when going up steep hills. Help please!!!

• 4 weeks later...

why do you need to swap the gears? I just looked through the conversion guide, and didn't see anything about swapping them. I would assume that the gears are the same and will work without swapping them :confused:

Have you pulled your carb'ed distributor out yet to verify that they're the same/different?

Only the SPFI disty has the hall effect sensor to get the fuel pump to pump, so a carby or mpfi won't work. so yes, you need to swap gears, I have the gear as i had planned on doing the swap myself, but never had the time/patience. iirc you need to redrill the hole, but i don't remember if it is to get the rotation right, or the depth. I'm pretty sure its for the depth, cause if its not perfect, it will chew up the gear all sorts of quick.

I had thought that the SPFI distributor signal was also used to run the TB fuel injector...

If the only purpose is to get the fuel pump to pump, why not just make an electronic box that will spoof the pump control circuitry?

As far as the gear goes, I had heard that the dist-drives are incompatible at the gear level, so you need to put the matching gear onto the distributor shaft, and that it is not aligned the same way as the SPFI's gear, requiring a new pin hole to be drilled. (IIRC, this info was recently posted in a similar thread, and either edrach or Qman was discussing what needed to be done.)

Hey Blue84 This is Jerry, i am doing that project also. Remove bolth dissy gears and drill another hole in the EA81 gear to match the hole in the EA82 gear. After that is done install the EA81 gear on the EA82 dissy. That is how you do that fix. Thanks Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

well I drilled it just a bit ago. I lined up both distys so they were pointing at #1 on there respective caps. The gears looked like they were in the similar position for being 2 different gears. I am not sure how else you could get it right on. We will have to see how it all goes once it is all together. I am going to yank the motor out tomarrow and re-seal the little guy in a few spots, throw on the SPFI parts, and then do the fuel pump and wiring. I would love to throw a 5 spd in it too but I am saving up for that 5spd LSD. I will put some pics up and possibly add some more light on this swap for others. I know this is going to take a lot longer than just a day. I think this will prepare me for the EJ22 swap I have planned down the road. Thanks for the input everyone.