Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I get these two subarus..

Hot, tired (working out in sun all day on sprinkler system) and not thinking so thought I would post..

I own two Subarus, an 84 Brat that needs work which i will get going on in near future and an 88 wagon Fuel Injected that I just got in good condition and seems to be running strong.

I get a call, do I want two Sube wagons? FREE...

1.) an 82 DL wagon, no engine, (no rust) looks good 4X4, manual trany, good intereir, body excellent except rear bumper where someone backed into post... not bad.

*I am thinking this would make a great run around rig.. need engine and tires and I am sure front axels in time, etc..

2.) an 87 wagon, 4x4, manual trany, bad lifters, window were left down, cats got inside and used it as a litter box and birth center...MEOW..^^ so wont keep this for road rig...parts ? *The engine is exact in my current 88 wagon EA-82 FI, .. I figure it would be great to get the engine out and keep as spare parts etc.. I also have a bad engine from my 88 that has a bad crank, figure I could take my heads off and put on the other engine that has bad heads and good crank side and maybe come out with a good engine.

How hard is it to come up with a running EA-81 (I think that is what goes into the 1982 dl?) ?

I can come up with a tow dolly and have a relation that says I can keep them out there till the 2nd coming... so long term storage no problem..

so.. am I looking at a pain in the butt regarding messing around with these two or will it be easier for me to just buy things as they come up and or put a search on the interenet... it would be handy to have the 87 wagon for parts and possibly the 82 *but who knows if I will ever start that project and how hard to find working engine* but who wants a junk yard and or dealing with car carcasses?

My Mechanic skill level is intermediate level but want to learn when I have $

Your thoughts...?