Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Programming new keyless entry remote on '99 0utback

I am trying to program a new remote for my '99 outback. I have looked at several posts. Supposedly there is a little black reset button under the dash on the driver's side that one must hold down while hitting the 'lock' button on the new remote. Well, I have looked all over the place down there, and there is no button that I can find. I found a link on this message board to a site that even provided a diagram, but it didn't help. I would like to do this myself in order to avoid a trip to the nearest dealer 50 miles away. (Which is where I bought the remote, after being told someone was there who could program it 7:30 -5:30 M-F, only to get there at 4:30, and be told that 'all the techs left at 4:00.) If anyone out there can help me with this, I will very much appreciate it.

There is no button on the '99.

Here is some instuctions I copied that should help you. People have stated that you need to turn the key quickly from "off" to the "on" position within 15 seconds. I think the 10th time needs to be with the key left 'on' but it may be 'off'. Hopefully the horn will honk then. If that doesn't work then disconnect the battery briefly, reconnect it and try again.

Instuctions:

Unlock all doors. Cycle key quickly but carefully 'off' to 'on' appr 10 times until the car honks one time.

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it.

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it. When you're done, remove the key and the horn should honk 3 times. You're all set.

Sometime it takes more than 10 on-offs to set program mode. Open/close the door, lock/unlock etc, wait 10 minutes, then try again.

• 4 years later...