Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission interchange?

Unless you have already checked, your transmission probably just needs its governor valve cleaned. This is an externally accessible assembly, located under the dome on the passnger-side of the tranny above the drive axle shaft. If this valve gets gummed up or its drive gear gets worn, the transmission will not shift properly in "D".

There are directions here on how to do this service, or if you can't find them I can help you out... but I have to leave for work right now.

Have same problem with 83 touring wagon. Found black powder in filter - clutch gear gone apparently. Bought a tranny from wreckers but rear 4wd transfer casing is 12cm shorter than mine and cannot swap because gear teeth are different. Everything else is ok . So MEASURE!!!

Pulled the governor off the transmission to clean valve and found the nylon gear was missing. The governor shaft still had the pin with a small piece of nylon stem still inside but the gear was completely gone. Checked with the dealer and the gear and shaft NOW are made of metal. Checked inside opening and used a probe tool, but no gear! Either the gear was ground up or someone else removed it! Maybe that's why I got the car for FREE! The kid working on it before me could never get it running or shifting right. Do you that might be why "D" would never engage? Got a new gear coming tomorrow. Any tricks I need to know about installation? Thanks...