Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy GT Twin Turbo tranny problem

I have a Legacy GT Twin Turbo (94). Gearbox was slipping and had rebuilt 3 times now. Have been told it is a glitch in the gearbox ECU. I have now been told that no one has come across this problem before. First time it was rebuilt it lasted 500 miles and then started slipping again. The last time it lasted for 34 miles, it started slipping after driving slow up to a round about and then pulling away normally (not giving it death). Have been told that the glitch is where the gearbox is trying to select another gear whilst it is still engaged in a gear, just for a split second. But you cannot feel anything - you cant feel it happening. The last time the gearbox was built, it had new bands, new valve body and I was told to get a new ECU for the gearbox. Now I am told it is not the ECU. I now dare not drive it, incase it goes again. I need to rectify the problem before I can drive it. Please help!PS: if it is the ECU where can I get one from?)

Well, I don't know anything specifically about your gearbox, but that hasn't stopped me before :D

What type of fluid are you running in the 'box? And are you running the correct level?

Is the car a "grey" import? This could mean that any old ATF fluid won't do, you might need a particular brand of oil.

If you didn't pour the oil into the 'box yourself, I suggest finding out exactly which oil Subaru recommends and draining the 'box yourself. You can only be sure that the correct fluid goes in if you pour it yourself!

The slipping problem you describe is often due to low oil pressure which stems from a worn pump, clogged filter, or below par oil. I trust the first two have been replaced during the rebuilds, so oil is the best place to start. (Replace the filter again if it is an external type, similar to the engine oil filter.)

A faulty ECU should register itself by flashing the "AT Oil Temp" light, and only in extreme cases could this lead to a mechanical failure.

Thanks mate for your reply

Yes it is a grey import which means that I do not get any help frpm Subaru dealers over here. I have been told the oil used is standard automatic gearbox oil. (TQF) Would the wrong oil definitely damage the gearbox as I am still very hesitant to drive the car, even if I change the oil. It has cost me £1500 so far. ;)

I've had some tranny problems in the past. First thing, make sure the correct amount of ATF is in there. Secondly make sure it doesn't smell burnt and and looks red.

I think your problems may be due to electronics. I had problems with the speed sensors which caused only first or second gear to engage. I ended up getting a used tranny from a yard and that has worked very well except now I have an error message from the TCU which I didnt have before.

Have you always taken it to the same shop? Maybe a different one would be able to solve something.

About the ECU, I think a normal ECU wil do, since the trannys are all almost identical except for some stronger components.

All the oil levels are ok and it hasn't been driven since the rebuild.

I am trying to find out what oil should be in the gearbox. When it first went the oil was clear in colour, but the oil now is red in colour, which I believe from my first feed back that it should be clear. Would having the wrong oil definitely cause the damage to the gearbox. Just want some kind of confirmation before I drive the car again.Plus can anyone tell what the name of the oil is tthat I need to use.

Many thanks

• 11 months later...
I have a Legacy GT Twin Turbo (94). Gearbox was slipping and had rebuilt 3 times now. Have been told it is a glitch in the gearbox ECU. I have now been told that no one has come across this problem before. First time it was rebuilt it lasted 500 miles and then started slipping again. The last time it lasted for 34 miles, it started slipping after driving slow up to a round about and then pulling away normally (not giving it death). Have been told that the glitch is where the gearbox is trying to select another gear whilst it is still engaged in a gear, just for a split second. But you cannot feel anything - you cant feel it happening. The last time the gearbox was built, it had new bands, new valve body and I was told to get a new ECU for the gearbox. Now I am told it is not the ECU. I now dare not drive it, incase it goes again. I need to rectify the problem before I can drive it. Please help!PS: if it is the ECU where can I get one from?)

Did you ever fix this problem?, I know i'm a year out of date, but i've the same problem!!!!

Trans fluid must be cherry red in colour...if not its ......******.....remove the drain plug with a mate present to stop the oil draining out completely..check it for metal particals......its magnetic so you will see immediatly if there is any 'bits' present.........if there is..........could be expensive.......However try this....Install a turbo car FUEL filter in the trans oil cooler return line to the gearbox...its a 10 micron filter and will filter debris from the oil......had a gearbox rebuilt myself thousands spent....the dawk that put it back together put 2 thrust washers in backwards.....the resulting grinding let small metallic particals circulate around and cause the valves to jam due to their clearances...did about 200 km before it lost third and fourth when cold!!.This cured my problem......25000 km ago......and i got another gearbox ohauled free due to their ***** up!......now i have one ready to go should this one fail again......so far GREAT......stands to reason really ...filter the debris out thats causing the hassle and it HAS to work A?

All the oil levels are ok and it hasn't been driven since the rebuild.

I am trying to find out what oil should be in the gearbox. When it first went the oil was clear in colour, but the oil now is red in colour, which I believe from my first feed back that it should be clear. Would having the wrong oil definitely cause the damage to the gearbox. Just want some kind of confirmation before I drive the car again.Plus can anyone tell what the name of the oil is tthat I need to use.

Many thanks