Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedometer sticking, your thoughts?

My speedometer has a habit of occasionally dropping to 0 or not even registering speed at all. I've been told my 99 Legacy Outback wagon has an electronic sensor that is bad/dirty.

I had a headlight with a dirty contact that the dealer looked at 3 times before I finally pulled it out and cleaned it myself (works beautifully now).

The problem is I'm not entirely sure where the speedometer sensor is on this car. On the passenger side of the transmission I found a plug and tried to clean it, but is the sensor attached there and how does it remove?

Is there a good manual/CD that helps identify things on the car? Anyone here know exactly where I should look or a good way to really clean the sensor?

Thanks In Advance

I have the same problem with my 99 brighton. The dealership has told me that it ias a faulty wiring harness inside the transmissions tailshaft housing. THe wire is either too small to handle the load causing a short or the wires have rubbed together through the insullation causing them to intermitantly short out. If i remember right the new harness was around 149.00 and the tailshaft housing needed to be removed. sorry i don't have the part number anymore. seemed pretty expensive so mine is still not fixed. I don't need a spedometer to tell me that i am speeding:grin: :headbang: !

My speedometer has a habit of occasionally dropping to 0 or not even registering speed at all. I've been told my 99 Legacy Outback wagon has an electronic sensor that is bad/dirty.

I had a headlight with a dirty contact that the dealer looked at 3 times before I finally pulled it out and cleaned it myself (works beautifully now).

The problem is I'm not entirely sure where the speedometer sensor is on this car. On the passenger side of the transmission I found a plug and tried to clean it, but is the sensor attached there and how does it remove?

Is there a good manual/CD that helps identify things on the car? Anyone here know exactly where I should look or a good way to really clean the sensor?

Thanks In Advance