Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Outback side window motor mount

This is a pain: I'm 400 miles away from home on a Saturday and the window, which had been going up slightly unevenly, now goes up at a diagonal!

I opened up the door panel and discovered that the motor had become unbolted from the door and was launching the window up incorrectly. I was only able to get 2 bolts back in because it seems impossible to align the motor/window with all 4 of the bolt holes properly. Fortunately, I secured it reasonably with just 2 bolts to make the journey home.

Does anyone know how to properly reseat one of these motor/window/regulator assemblies? It's difficult because there are only a few small holes to get one's hand through to actually manipulate this stuff through the interior of the door.

I hope someone has some wisdom.

Thanks,

JD

The trick is to remove the glass from the regulator. This will allow the regulator to move freely to where you can match up the bolt holes. Since this has happened, I would recommend you put a drop of Loctite on the threads of the bolts to make sure they don't work loose again.

What you have to watch is the fact that Subes have frameless doors. This means many attaching parts for the glass to remain stable. You are looking for the **2** bolts (10mm) that go thru the horizontal slide and into the plastic mounts that are attached to the glass. I know it is tight, but you have to get the glass out of the way. (would recommend you have a friend to hold the glass UP long enough to get the motor bolts reattached) Once you reattach the motor in place, lower the regulator to near bottom. Watch for a location that you can get to both bolts to put them in. (recommend a 1/4" drive with a 6" extension, 10mm) Put something slightly sticky in the socket to avoid dropping the bolt in thebottom of the door as you are getting it threaded. Once attached, put window all of the way up and CAREFULLY close the door checking the alignment of the glass with the seal! DO NOT just slam it closed in case the horizontal/vertical adjustments are off. If they are and you are not sure how to correct, either look close and think it thru or post back here and I know myself or some other guys around here will help you out.

Thank you for such a detailed response! I'll hopefully be able to tackle the problem this weekend (made the 420 mi trip back yesterday with my window rolled up).

Just a quick question about removing the two bolts that secure the glass to the regulator - will I be able to get to those through the little holes in the sheet metal on the door's interior, or is there something else that I need to remove for better access?

This sounds pretty doable the way that you explained it.

Thanks again,

JD

JD

First of all, no problem. What I do for a living.

Second. Yes, if everything is installed and aligned properly, you will be able to access the bolt holes via the openings in the inner door skin. This is why I recommended the 6" extension which will allow you to get the socket in there while still being able to tighten it.

Again, when you remove the glass from the regulator, be careful. There are front and rear stabilizers that hold the glass. Just remember that when you remove the 2 bolts from the regulator, the glass will still move up and down, but will have a roller in the rear that goes up and down inside a track and the front will have a U shaped bracket that has the opening part of the U facing forward. then there is a flat piece of metal facing rearward. The U bracket MUST have the flat piece of metal in the middle of it BEFORE you reattach to the regulator. If not, it will jam and you will have to start over.

If you run into any problems, give a shout!