Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTH? Suddenly idling at 1700rpms...

DrKrazy

Driving home from work tonight, I get off the highway and come to a stop at a light....look down and the RX is idling at 1700 rpms??? Still running great as usual, vacuum still at -18 like it always has been at idle, checked for vacuum leaks/disconnects anyways..nothing. Throttle cable isn't too tight at all, and throttle plate stop screw is right where it has always been. Couldn't find anything else, loose wires, bad connections, etc...So I turned the idle screw till it backed off to 900 (I know it hadn't moved since it was still painted in place). Computer isn't throwing any codes, and timing is still dead on and running great... Any ideas? Something going bad or gone bad that would cause that? Or just chaulk it up to the gremlins that live in my Subaru's, maybe it's ticked off I bought 2 more in the last few months.

Bad signal from TPS but not enough to throw a code? Best guess I got at the moment. I wouldnt mess with the idle stop screw; bad mojo. Computer on the EFI will eventually compensate for it, then you fix the real problem, and idle is still off because of idle stop screw.... least thats my experience with those.

Yea I was thinking either that or the coolant temp sensor, waiting for it to cool all the way down (I.E tomorrow morning) and see if it still kicks the idle up for cold start, since that's usally about where it keeps it at (1700-1800 rpms) on the first start of a cooler day. But getting all the Roo masters advice and guesses before I go at it in the morning so I have more to check out, so keep em coming. Luckily I have extras of both, and alot more...thought for sure it would have thrown a code, hopefully it will on me tomorrow at least that's one of my day's off. Though I was going to start putting the lift on "Project Cheap" which is prob why the RX decided to do this....