Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1987 Subaru XT w/ pics - lets talk rust and ways to combat it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:13 AM

so i have an 87 XT with like zero body rust as you can see if you check out the pics below.

im beginning to wonder about this car after i talked to a guy who had it in his family for a while. he admitted to running the sh*t out of this car and never storing it in a garage.

as everybody knows on the east we use this road salt in the winter which is basically the anti-subaru. while it does have a hole or 2 on the frame rails, theres no visible rust anywhere that wasnt chipped by a stone or something similar.

i know subaru didnt have galvanized bodys back then so would there be another explanation? anyways to fend it off? because you know that now that i own it now the rust gods will reign holy hell on my ride.

if anyone has any suggestions please speak up

pics of the car are located here: Dennis' 1987 Subaru XT Turbo

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,184 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:46 AM

one place in particular that i have noticed soobs to rust is where the rear of the front fenders meet the rocker panel behind the wheel. dirt will pile up back there, holding in moisture, i would suggest pulling the fenders and cleaning them out, and rust proof it before it goes back on. spray some GREAT STUFF foam in there too.

check out the rear cargo wells, and up front the framerails, as they are the first to rust on soobs, and wheel arches too.

try to shoot some foam in some of the body cavities to displace any potential, dirt, leaves, moisture build-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users