Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering

Hi Everybody,

I have question about power steering. I have hard time to turn wheels, seems like something wrong with my power steering. Sometimes is better and other time worse. I had that problem, before I replaced transmission, but after was all good. But After while it got worse and worse. I checked fluid and it's low little bit, but nothing major I think. Could be low on pressure or pump is dead. Could someone give some opinion what could be possibly wrong. Thank you so much.

Kristian

Hmmm,

I doubt it's the pump. On my power steering Subies, the steering is light even when the car is off.

Could be the rack, could be the steering box. Look to see if something is binding up. Try it with the wheels in the air.

Hi Everybody,

I have question about power steering. I have hard time to turn wheels, seems like something wrong with my power steering. Sometimes is better and other time worse. I had that problem, before I replaced transmission, but after was all good. But After while it got worse and worse. I checked fluid and it's low little bit, but nothing major I think. Could be low on pressure or pump is dead. Could someone give some opinion what could be possibly wrong. Thank you so much.

Kristian

although normally fairly obvious... is it possible your belts are slipping? Greased perhaps? I would try idling then popping the hood and listening or watching your tach then turn the wheel. If the engine bogs and the tach drops then its atleast trying. I had a steering rack that was bad internally with the valve network and sometimes it would assist, other times it wouldn't do anything.

Not sure how you would identify if it was the pump or the rack though... maybe somebody else has good insight into that!

At a quick glance the rack doesn't look TOO difficult to do.

Thank's for answer, but what is steering box or rack. Sorry, I don't really understand cars, but would like have this problem done. And sorry, I didn't write type of the car. It's GL-10 with turbo FWD 1989.

Thank you for answer.

Kristian

Hmmm,

I doubt it's the pump. On my power steering Subies, the steering is light even when the car is off.

Could be the rack, could be the steering box. Look to see if something is binding up. Try it with the wheels in the air.

oh, I guess you didn't ask about the pump, I sorta misread your post... I can see how somebody might not be familiar with the term rack.

but its still going to be a tough one to trouble shoot... you might find it easier finding somebody that knows alittle about cars to look at it... like an aquaintence that you don't really know, but think you might sucker them into looking at it... thats always the fun part :D Good luck.

You right, I shouldn't really mess with that, but would like find possible problems so I can decide what next. Thank's a lot for answer.

Kristian

Rack is the actual hydraulic driven steering mechanism... the pump is what provides the hudraulic pressure to assist the racks movements.

No offense, but if you are not familiar with the difference, you may find it hard to trouble shoot this.

You right there,

it's hard to find good mechanic. It sucks, but I have to do something.

K.

oh, I guess you didn't ask about the pump, I sorta misread your post... I can see how somebody might not be familiar with the term rack.

but its still going to be a tough one to trouble shoot... you might find it easier finding somebody that knows alittle about cars to look at it... like an aquaintence that you don't really know, but think you might sucker them into looking at it... thats always the fun part :D Good luck.