Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

crank shaft pulley bolt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 subyfreak

subyfreak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Calumet Upper Michigan

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:53 AM

any one have any tips for removing the crank pulley bolt? I have tried using a impact wrench and a socket wrench with a breaker bar on the bolt with a open end wrench on the fly wheel to torque converter bolt to keep the engine from turning over. I keep snapping wrenches. If I keep this up Sears will ban me from returning broken tools!:banghead: I am pulling the crank pulley to change the timing belts. Any tips for this first timer? I have a Chiltons manual but would like some ideas from fellow Subaru owners. Thanks for the help!!!:)

#2 Hendrik

Hendrik

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Holland and Brazil

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:16 AM

Take out the startmotor , and put in the teeth some breaker bar.

#3 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

I use a long pry bar against the flywheel teeth to hold it in place. I've heard of people putting the wrench on the bolt and then bumping the starter, but I've never done it myself. If you decide to try it, I'd pull the coil wire first.

#4 azsubaru

azsubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

I use the starter bumping method and it works ok for me.

I learned this next method here on the board, and it works good for when you have to tighten it again, too. Feed a length of rope - maybe 6-10 feet or so - down into one of the cylinders. After that piston comes up, it will lock the engine. Make sure to leave a couple more feet sticking out so you don't lose it!

#5 KStretch55

KStretch55

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

I use a screwdriver in the ring gear teeth through the timing mark hole. Sounds like your bolt is severely over-torqued. Good luck.

#6 MudisFun

MudisFun

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

Breaker bar wrapped in a a couple of rags against the frame, bump the starter. Works every time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users