Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which year 4EAT auto tranny will fit in a 96 OBW.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 subaruVWnut

subaruVWnut

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • California

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

I need a tranny for a 96 OBW but not sure if 97-99 versions will also work.

Does anyone know which year auto transmissions are interchangeable with a 96 OBW. It has the DOHC 2.5L engine.

Warren C.

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

The newer ones "should" work. Only thing you'll need to verify is the final drive ratio. You need to find one that has the same final drive ratio as your 96. If not, you'll need to swap out the rear diff to match the final drive ratio in the transmission.

#3 subaruVWnut

subaruVWnut

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • California

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

[quote name='Legacy777']The newer ones "should" work.QUOTE]

Can you be more specific ...." the newer ones" covers a lot of territory..... 9 years.....

I've heard tat 96-mid 99 were essentially the same but my dealer parts guy says they all have different part #s. I have a spare 4EAT from a 2000 OBW. Looks essentially the same.. but ????????????

Other than diff ratios...I'm also concerned about incompatibility of TCU to ECU signals and speed sensors.

How can you determine diff ratio...someone told me there was a number, sticker, stamp on the rear diff that told.....but checking two in my yard.....no such thing.

Warren C

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

The newer ones probably is from 96ish or so and up. The phase 2 4EAT had a few more inputs like torque converter speed and one or two other things. As long as the two transmissions have the same pin outs, then I don't see why they wouldn't work, regardless of what part # it has.

You may want to get a subscription for http://techinfo.subaru.com and find the TCU pin outs for the model years of transmissions your looking at. You should be able to verify whether the TCU pins are the same or not.

Also, it'll have final drive ratio info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users