Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which year 4EAT auto tranny will fit in a 96 OBW.

The newer ones "should" work.QUOTE]

Can you be more specific ...." the newer ones" covers a lot of territory..... 9 years.....

I've heard tat 96-mid 99 were essentially the same but my dealer parts guy says they all have different part #s. I have a spare 4EAT from a 2000 OBW. Looks essentially the same.. but ????????????

Other than diff ratios...I'm also concerned about incompatibility of TCU to ECU signals and speed sensors.

How can you determine diff ratio...someone told me there was a number, sticker, stamp on the rear diff that told.....but checking two in my yard.....no such thing.

Warren C

The newer ones probably is from 96ish or so and up. The phase 2 4EAT had a few more inputs like torque converter speed and one or two other things. As long as the two transmissions have the same pin outs, then I don't see why they wouldn't work, regardless of what part # it has.

You may want to get a subscription for http://techinfo.subaru.com and find the TCU pin outs for the model years of transmissions your looking at. You should be able to verify whether the TCU pins are the same or not.

Also, it'll have final drive ratio info.