Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

diff spline question- interchange 25 spline to 23?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:56 AM

I have a slight problem with my tranny upgrade- I dont know what to do about getting 25 spline ea81 front axles???

ideas-

-use ea82 turbo axles with ea82 front hubs and stuff... , but are they too long? or will they fit on a ea81 car? (i know the strut tops are different, but it would seem to me that they have the same bottom mount for the spindle block...)

or, could I replace the 25 spline output shafts on the tranny with ones out of a tranny that has 23 spline output shafts? (seems like the best idea, if it will work)

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 05 October 2003 - 03:04 AM

Austin, which tranny are you upgrading to?

#3 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

I am planning to put the FT4WD 5spd D/R !

AWD!! with diff lock! woo hoo!

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,917 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 06 October 2003 - 02:52 PM

I am currently doing the same thing on my 83 turbowagon.

I haven't decided what to do about the axles yet. Probably going to have to cut and weld ea82 turbo inners to ea81 outers. That is the only solution I have read here so far but I am definately interested in other alternatives.

I got Jerry's 5 speed kit mostly installed but now I have an additional problem....the rear end of the trans doesn't seem to clear the stabilizer bar. I am using an ea81 manual trans radius rod and stab bar setup. 3" lift kit. The whole trans is tilted to one side.
Pics to come in a little while.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,328 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 October 2003 - 05:57 PM

would the doj interchange, or maby the whole bearing race, the little circlip that hoolds it on?

you could swap to ea82 lower control arms, but you wil have to salvage the mount from an ea82 crossmember. as described by rguyver, and applied to trashwagon.
the ball joint holes will be a different size, but i used the whole ea82 strut, with the ea81 strut cap modified to fit.

if the axle diameter is the same, try swappong doj and see what happens.

#6 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 07 October 2003 - 01:41 AM

but nobody knows about weather the tranny innards could be swapped out???? this to me seems easiest!

i think i am gonna open up the spare 4spd!

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,328 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:47 PM

crack it open and find out. at least you will be able to answer it the next time the subject comes up!

#8 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,917 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

I was able to swap the stub axles in the trans for mine recently and therefore sold my custom axles. To do it I just took my ring gear off and put it on the regular dual range spider set and then dropped the front diff gears back into the trans. Really not terribly hard.

#9 Mr. Carb

Mr. Carb

Weather Geek

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Shoreline

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:19 AM

Did austin pick up another ea81 car?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users