Ultimate Subaru Message Board

diff spline question- interchange 25 spline to 23?

I have a slight problem with my tranny upgrade- I dont know what to do about getting 25 spline ea81 front axles???

ideas-

-use ea82 turbo axles with ea82 front hubs and stuff... , but are they too long? or will they fit on a ea81 car? (i know the strut tops are different, but it would seem to me that they have the same bottom mount for the spindle block...)

or, could I replace the 25 spline output shafts on the tranny with ones out of a tranny that has 23 spline output shafts? (seems like the best idea, if it will work)

I am currently doing the same thing on my 83 turbowagon.

I haven't decided what to do about the axles yet. Probably going to have to cut and weld ea82 turbo inners to ea81 outers. That is the only solution I have read here so far but I am definately interested in other alternatives.

I got Jerry's 5 speed kit mostly installed but now I have an additional problem....the rear end of the trans doesn't seem to clear the stabilizer bar. I am using an ea81 manual trans radius rod and stab bar setup. 3" lift kit. The whole trans is tilted to one side.

Pics to come in a little while.

would the doj interchange, or maby the whole bearing race, the little circlip that hoolds it on?

you could swap to ea82 lower control arms, but you wil have to salvage the mount from an ea82 crossmember. as described by rguyver, and applied to trashwagon.

the ball joint holes will be a different size, but i used the whole ea82 strut, with the ea81 strut cap modified to fit.

if the axle diameter is the same, try swappong doj and see what happens.

• 2 years later...

I was able to swap the stub axles in the trans for mine recently and therefore sold my custom axles. To do it I just took my ring gear off and put it on the regular dual range spider set and then dropped the front diff gears back into the trans. Really not terribly hard.