Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle, oscilates, cold start (FIXED) kind of..

1988 dl, Wagon, Throttle body Fuel injected, EA-82, non turbo, start up from cold the idle speed was going up and down and die, start and run for a bit, up and down then die.... hmmmm..

It was running a bit rough a few days prior, I was going to check distributer and rotor, etc....

your thoughts.... Thx in advance...

Update: Cleaned disty cap and rotor, tons of ugly build up, runs smoother but problem still exists, read 2 posts below so doing that next, I am sure that is it. Will up date again if problem is fixed.

Thx for quick response, :)

fIxEd/Kind of: Hoosie and Balls: Thx guys.

My Chiltons calls it a AIR CONTROL VALVE, (does not ref. a Idle control valve nor picture on this model so I believe this is the same as an Idle Control valve) mounted on front of SPFI Throttel body. The 3/4" air hose that feeds the Air control Valve comes off upstream by the Air flow meter, every time I removed that hose that car would shudder and almost die if I didn't get it pushed back on, so that kind of tells me the Air control valve is doing something so I sprayed the WD-40 (sry, no Silicone) into the Air control valve and started it again and it seemed to be acting quicker in its response, sprayed more and seemed to be working better or it just warmed up and bypassed it any way?... if that is how it works...

I believe your right as it was lagging behind in reaction time (gummy) so I think this is a temp fix till I get the silicone spray and or a new gasket and take it off and clean it?

hmmmm.... another search and not so late in the day. I believe it seems to be running better and that was probably the cause. I just may try this for awhile and see what happens.

Thanks again guys & gals... Love these little cars.

sounds like the idle air control valve (IAC). Do a search for it, you should find more than you'd ever want to know about it :lol:

It's a common problem with the valve that needs occasional cleaning. Also good to check all the other stuff you mentioned (disty cap, rotor, plugs, etc)

(hint, search for ' IAC* ' and you'll get more hits)

I'm with Hooz. The IAC valve might just be dirty or need some lubrication. I've 'fixed' this issue by spraying a bunch of STP silicone lubricant down the shaft area. It's probably just not respnding fast enough to maintain a steady idle. Before you soak it down with some silicone lube, have someone start the car and you can watch how the solenoid acts. It should move much quicker and smoother after you spray it. WD40 will work but not as good. I would give it a few treatments of this to help it clean itself. Or you might be able to take it apart and do it right.