Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting more performance out of an EA82

A napa gold filter is just fine. No need to spend extra for a dealer filter. I use 10w30 year round of a good brand name oil..depending on whats on sale. I feel there is no need to spend the extra money for synthetic as long as your changing your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months.

I'm goint to change the oil on my recently purchased '94 Loyale. What oil brand and type is recommended? How many quarts? Should I purchase the Subaru filter from the dealer?

thanks,

-Michael

I use the factory filters, but thats cause i'm persikity about those things, as for oil, i also use 10W-30 Castrol GTX or whatever synthetic blend/what ever Castrol is cheapest, the full synthetic is too expensive, and not necessary in a car thats 20 years old with 250k miles.

Welcome to the board, feel free to start your won threads, and search on your own, chances are your questions have been asked before, so the answer is already there, so you don't have to wait for a responce.

Here's a simple modification that can be done to your carburator:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49976

I performed this mod to the HItachi 2BBL carb on my old EA81. The EA82 has a similar carb, and the mod can be performed to it as well. Make sure you use new carburator gaskets ( i believe i have a set Im not able to use since my car is MPFI, PM me if you want em ). Besides, new carburator gaskets should add at least 5hp, since they prolly leak :)

-Brian

Someone get this guy a cookie. Pure genius :D

This mod made a good difference to my EA82. For the record, if other people want to try this, the carb on the EA82 (for the '89 GL at least) is exactly the same for the purposes of this mod.

One hint though - get a split pin to tie the control arms together. They're already about in the right shape and easy to work with :D