Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'98 Outback Brakes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickdabrewer

rickdabrewer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

We are having an issue with our '98 Outback's brakes. It seems that they will randomly decide not to work. It is winter here, but the problem occurs after the car has been warmed up and driven. Usually occurs during slower driving. It feels as though when the brake is applied it wants to kick back making it hard to apply any pressure. We've already run a couple of stop signs. Next thing you know its gone, no problem. Happens about once a week. Any thoughts?

#2 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

i have heard of this and if i remember right it related to the brake booster.

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

There was a recall on some models for doing just that. Check with the dealer, it's a master cyl, booster problem.

#4 mwatt

mwatt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

We are having an issue with our '98 Outback's brakes. It seems that they will randomly decide not to work. It is winter here, but the problem occurs after the car has been warmed up and driven. Usually occurs during slower driving. It feels as though when the brake is applied it wants to kick back making it hard to apply any pressure. We've already run a couple of stop signs. Next thing you know its gone, no problem. Happens about once a week. Any thoughts?

You mention "It feels as though when the brake is applied it wants to kick back". To me, this sounds like the ABS is actuating when it's not supposed to. I'll bet you've got a wheel speed sensor that's starting to fail; that "tricks" the ABS into coming on for no reason during low speed stops. And when that happens, the car will slowly roll to a stop (and right into intersections), even if you're putting all of your weight onto the brake pedal. Does the ABS warning lamp come on while driving or stay on longer than it used to after starting the engine??

There was a recall on brake master cylinders for these cars (we've also got a '98 Outback) but the symptom of a bad master cylinder is the brake pedal sinking to the floor when brakes are applied. What you're describing (brake pedal "kicking back") sounds like an ABS problem..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users