Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Interesting" brake noise on 04 Forester XT

Well, I just did my brakes all the way around this weekend. Things went smoothly aside from the hastle of finding the right pads. Had the rotors turned and I cleaned the calipers thoroughly... adjusted the e-brake and slapped it back together without any issues.

Two days later, I started to hear a very strange "rubbery" sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel. The sound is ONLY made when the pedal is pressed, and only at lower speeds (below 30mph). The speed of the sound matches the revolutions of the tire and is intermittent. I can feel no vibration in either the steering wheel or in the brake pedal... at first I thought it might be a torn boot but they are all in pristine condition. It's definatly not a scratching/scraping noise... and it sounds nothing like any other 'brake' related noise that I am used to.

I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel back off yet (had to work today, damn Mondays) but plan on doing so as soon as I get home. Any ideas?

Have a look at the surface of the rotors , look for a patern that looks like a record groove along the surface of the rotor. If that's the case you will have to turn them again . then the rotor should be sanded so that they have a cross hatch patern in them ,This will seat the pads faster and reduce the likley hood of the noise coming back . You should also wash the rotors after doing this to get any filings off the rotor surface

SEA#3