Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I just bought this car a week ago and it has not stopped getting hot and even overheating on me. I have had two headgasket tests done, pressure and carbon monoxide, and both have been negitive. I changed the thermostate over the weekend because upper hose was hot and lower was cold. It still overheated after that. so now I just called a subaru dealership and he asked me how many times it has overheated, which has probably been 5 or more times. He then said that if it wasn't a headgasket is sure is now or even something more serious like a cracked block. So now what do I do, have them start pulling the motor apart to only find out things are worse and I need a new engine? Or, just put a new engine in it and stop fiddleing around. I only paid $2650 for this car with 160k miles.....I need some suggestions.

like he just said (he knows his junk!), make sure the coolant level is full with no air bubbles (sometimes hard to get all the air out of those coolant systems).

also make sure the thermostat isn't stuck (they cost about 5 bucks, so worth replacing to make sure).

unfortunately it probably is a headgasket. installing another motor is a bad option unless it's been rebuilt (see CCR for one of those), otherwise you're installing another old motor with a possible bad headgasket. the new headgaskets are not prone to issues that's why a rebuilt motor is a good option.

headgaskets can be replaced for about $1,000 - $1,200 is the going rate at a dealer, a little cheaper if you can find an independent to do it.

another option is to find a 2.2 liter motor and swap that in place. you can find those for a couple hundred (i have one for sale for instance, shouldn't be hard to find one locally) and be done with it for well under $1,000. then no worries about cracked block, warped heads, etc. the 2.2's are known as great motors and have few issues.

TONS OF INFORMATION on this board about headgasket issues, replacement and swapping in the 2.2 liter motor.

sorry to hear about your car, but with the new headgasket in the 2.5 or a 2.2 you've got a great car that will last a long time.

good luck