Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The oil capacity of my 2.5 is listed as 4.2 US quarts.

After an oil and filter change, I'll put in 4 qts., but rather than showing .2 qts. below the full mark on the dipstick, it reads about a half quart over full.

I check the level with the oil at normal operating temperature, but I'll usually pull the stick and wait 5 minutes for the dipstick tube to "clear out" before checking the level to avoid false smearing. The ground is completely level.

Anybody else get this on their vehicle? :confused:

**** ******!

In case this could be useful.

I'm pretty sure the normal level upper hole on the dipstick is for cold oil level measurement. When at operating temp, the oil level should reach the upper notch on the dipstick.

Yep, nice one frag!

Blitz, you may also consider that not ALL the old oil drains out..

In related News: My gearbox takes 3.5 liters, but I have learned that adding 3.3 even after a long drip-drip-drip draining, will be enough to raise it to the max level.

I drain it when it's almost fully hot so it drains more thoroughly. Usually I'll let it sit just for a tad before I get started. That'll let it cool just enough so I don't burn my hands and allows a little time for the oil to drain from the galleries down into the pan.

**** ******! (I'm a Dipstick):clap:

If you drain the oil when it is hot, there is still oil in the block that hasn't drained down. It can take hours fir it to all travel to the oil pan. IMO, yer better off draining when cold.

Sand of the end of your dipstick, so to speak. It'll make it easier to read, even tho the subie is the worst car I have ever owned to check oil on.

If you drain the oil when it is hot, there is still oil in the block that hasn't drained down. It can take hours fir it to all travel to the oil pan. IMO, yer better off draining when cold.
You mean the half quart or so of nice thin pre-heated oil that rushes out of all the main galleries as soon as I unscrew the filter?

Sand of the end of your dipstick, so to speak. It'll make it easier to read, even tho the subie is the worst car I have ever owned to check oil on.
Amen to that.

**** ******!

You are putting in 4 quarts, starting the engine, running it until there is oil pressure, shutting it off, and then checking the level, correct?
No, usually I'll just start it up, put my foot to the floor and let it bounce off the rev-limiter for a minute or two to chase all the air out of the system. Then I blip the throttle repeatedly for 15 minutes or until my neighbor looks out his back door, whichever comes first.

Actually I was referring to anytime I check my oil, but the case has been solved by Frag.

**** ******!

Ya know Blitz this has always driven me a bit nuts. Even if I know I just added the correct amount it goes up and down like a yo yo. I've settled for just trying to check the oil in a consistant fashion.

My current method is do some errands with wife, and pop the hood in the driveway. Pull the dipstick and go do something else. After about ten minutes come back and if it looks low add about a pint. This bring it to over full and makes me cuss it. Slam the hood and put the oil away and live with the fact that I'll never have it quite right. Resolve to study Subaru Zen.