Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Don't know where to put this. EA81T Brat and some suspension questions

So since LUVMYBRAT and I have decided that the turbo Brat is gonna be canablized for other vehicles ('84 t-coupe with bad engine), I was thinkin about possibly havin some fun before we do so. Some of you remember my '78 Brat being slammed and RWD, I was kinda thinking about possibly doing the same to the turbo Brat. So now for a few questions...

1. Will the EA71 gen 1 struts fit into a gen 2? The look very similar but don't want to get it torn down and find out that they're not.

2. Will the automatic (3AT) in 4wd work like the manual tranny in RWD?

3. How do I crank down the rear torsion bars in the rear? I know there's a nut or a bolt er something but where will it be located on the Brat (sedan, remove the rear seat)? What size is it?

Hopefully gonna have some fun before we send her to the Subaru junkyard in the sky...

1. No, the strut tops are different, the struts are too much shorter and the springs are a different diameter. If you want to lower the front find some 2wd front struts and springs.

2. I doubt the rear output clutch pack can handle that much power.

3. There is a bolt that's located at about the center of the torsion bar on top of the triangle shaped section. It's probably set all the way down (turned ccw as far as it will go) which is the stock ride height. You may have to clock the torsion bar like they do to increase the lift but you'll want to rotate it in the opposite direction.