Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace CV or just boots

Bought a 86 GL wagon, knowing both outer CV boots were ripped.

The drivers side clicks on sharp turns, the passenger clicks a little on sharp turns both they don't click going straight.

Upon inspection the joints seem in good shape, if I clean them very well and use a replacement boot and pack it with grease will this stop the clicking. Or is the clicking a sign that they are beyond repair?

Can I replace the boots without removing the entire assembly?

Has anyone done such a repair?

Thanx

I one replaced the boots and re-greased the joints 1500 miles later they were shot again, once a boot rips, junk get in the joint and it loses material, my opinion is replace the axle, it is the same amount of labor.

My front passenger side boot was ripped so I bought one of those chemically welded boot kits. Cleaned the joint and it kept it from clicking for a while, but only for probably a month and then it started up again. Its hard to get the clamps on tight enough that the boot doesn't move around or let stuff in. There are also other types of boots available that you can install without taking everything appart, but some of those don't seal well. If you have the time and money I'd say replace them. Would have taken me 3 hours at the most to do my passenger side except the remanufactured assembly I got wasn't fully assembled so it was about an inch too long because the cv joint (the one at the hub) wasn't put together correctly. They replaced it and the newer one was easy enough. If you go remanufactured make sure it has threads all the way to the end. There are many threads on replacing them. Helped me tons.