Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question to all single range transaxle peeps

'79 Brat in the driveway and leaving it's mark.

The transaxle leaks where the 2wd-4wd selector shaft enters the transfer case. The selector shaft is case hardened steel running through the machined aluminum case. The thing is, I can't seem to find a seal there. Reason tells me one should be there but careful inspection reveals it appears to be little more than a design flaw.

It's worse if I park on an incline with the front of the truck higher than the rear. The oil just seems to drip right on out. About 6k miles ago, I replaced all the seals in the tranny. It's disappointing that the thing still leaks. Perhaps that's the reason for them to include the transaxle dipstick, eh? :rolleyes:

Are any of you folks experiencing this problem. If yes, has anyone solved this problem and how?

Thanks

You mean when the shifter rod goes into the case??

The 4wd selector is up high and typically does not leak.

All my single range trannys have done this. It's a slow, slow drip though. If you part facing downhill slightly, it stops.

It's just a machined seal. (I think there is an o-ring inside maybe?)

Todd

Yeah, that's the spot. I was afraid it was only a machined surface. I visually inspected it without finding any trace of a seal. I don't hold it against them (Subaru engineers) for not having everything figured out back in '79. I'll try t find a cutaway diagram and confirm whether or not there's an O-ring. If there's not one there, I think I'm going to pull the selector shaft, throw it on my lathe, and add a slot for an O-ring myself.

Any other experience, suggestions or insight out there?