Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We have a 96 outback. It suddenly started running rough especially at idle. There is no check engine light on. We changed the spark plugs about 3 months ago. Does anyone know what could be our problem? Also, it has been wrecked and the air bag light is still on. Does anyone know how to turn it out? If you have any ideas please e mail me at suemccoy@yahoo.com

You need to download the trouble codes from your computer in order to find your idling problems. There are so many things that it could be, you are just spinning your wheels without some idea as to where to start. A Subaru dealer can do it, and give you an idea as to the cost of fixing the problem. You may find that its very inexpensive to correct. A similar problem on my 97 OBW showed up in the ignition system as a misfire in cylinder # 3, that was traced to a bad ignition coil. Total cost was about $170 Canadian, with tax as I recall. As for the air bag, pull the light bulb for it out of the back of the instrument panel if you must, but if it were my car, I'd have the dealer check the system and get it fixed. Reconstructing my face after a head on collision, because of an air bag that didn't work, is not something I'm willing to take a chance on.

I like to use a large piece of cardboard to locate gas leaks,,

I leave the car running (don't forget the emergency brake:D )

to keep the fuel under pressure,, and move the cardboard under the car till "Finding the wet spot" :headbang:

Gives you the idea of where to start looking,, (above the tank, or under the hood)

Steve