Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need 3AT Hydraulic Circuit info

I would look this up in my FSM... but it is out on loan at the moment and not easily accessible. So...

The governor mechanicals on my wife's 3AT are shot (pinion bearings or gov drive gear need replacing), and I am trying to get it limping along as a semi-automatic: Remove governor driven-gear, lock the governor circuit in "D" and shift the selector for lower gears. This is until I replace the transmission on one of the 4 vehicles that I have that need it. (Probably no time until summer, and my wife really doesn't want to wait that long. :rolleyes: )

What I need to know is: What is the hydraulic circuit routing through the governor assembly when the road speed is high enought to select the "D" range (35mph or so)?

I have tried locking the valve assembly where I thought it should be at speed, gutting the valve assembly altogether (no restriction to flow exiting the valve), and sealing the 2 hydraulic circuit ports. None of these seem to work. I am beginning to think that rather than release pressure in the circuit (as I thought I remembered) it may need to route the pressure from one port to the other.

Anybody out there know or have an FSM handy?

• 2 weeks later...