Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 gl Wagon w/turbo intermittent check engine light

Hi

If you have seen any of my earlier messages you would guess that I have a lot of issues with this car but I manage to keep it going.

This could be confusing cause im dealing with likly multiple causes. While I was trying to figure out why my Check engine light was flashing or staying on for short period's I managed to get some very bad gas and almost fouled my injector to the point that I almost couldnt get it to run.

I dont know how you would deal with this but I find that throttle body injection isnt too hard to clean out... In my case I was able to get the car running and I used drygas and a good injector cleaner in the tank. I took it for a really unpleasant ride and after a while the injector burned clear. By the next morning it ran like a top.. I guess the chemicals sit in the injector over night and also help clean it out.

But Im back to the original problem.... the car runs fairly well and I have normal indications on all the dash gages and having the check engine light on dosent seem to be bothering the engine much..... once I got the bad gas burned out it clarified that issue.

Generaly it does run well but sometimes when I tach it to about 5k I can feel the ignition breaking up just slightly. But it dosent do this all the time and dosent seem to have anything to do with the CE light. I tuned the car about 7000 miles ago... so this shouldnt be an issue. The coil looks like hell and it might even be the original... I think if I ever catchup with the rest of the work or this problem gets worse that I might just get a new coil.

I found a small grey plate on the front of the engine :

Brngings .010

Rngs .010

Someone spent some money rebuilding at least the lower part of this engine. I would really hate to have to lose this car... and as my brother and I have put near 40k miles on this car.. I rather think the engine was rebuilt right. :)

oh... At the moment im thinking vacume leak... its idling a bit high (1200) and when you goose it.... it takes too long to idle down.

All tips,clues welcome.

Thanks

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up :

I asked my brother if this car had an issue with the CE light coming on... and he said it did " Mostly when I got bad gas or the injector is clogged".

The Gas around here is really bad.... I cant use gulf at all and I think I better not go below the last 1/4 tank... I'm not real sure what evil item is growing in there right now. Whenever I do get near to the last 1/4 the car runs bad.. stalls and is hard to start.... but does after a while.

Is it common for Injectors to clog so often? Can I blame it totally on the gas? Short of removing the tank and finding somewhere to get rid of 2 - 3 gallons or gas...... is there someway to clean this out? Consistently I should say....

Regards

Robert