Ultimate Subaru Message Board

He Murdered my Silver! New car consideration...

LAPD woke me at 6:15 on holiday (black) Monday... my car had been in a fender bender and they were outside.

Dude's car had been in a 'fender bender'. My car, on the other hand, had been hit by a suspended driver, in a car registered to his mother, in which he was speeding (on my 1-block long street) when he fell asleep. The damage... bent axle on both ends (impact at the wheel), bent frame, obliterated bumper, damaged left front corner panel, broken headlight, damaged hood, damaged rear bumper (driven into the car behind it)... Progressive is holding off on calling it a total loss until the shop sees it from underneath tomorrow, but told me to go ahead and remove everything from it to save myself some trouble. Silver... she's dead.

RIP Silver... 1997 Legacy L, only 150K on the original engine, we'd put only 13000 miles on her in the last two years... she had the 2.2 L... sigh, sniff.

I've spied a couple of cars to look at tomorrow... a 1996 Legacy L (almost identical to my car, but green, with tint and a factory roof rack) with 105,000 miles, and a 1996 OBW w/ 151K... like my car came back from the shop blue, and pumped up. Both are immaculate, both are one owner cars. One has the 2.2 L, the other the Phase 1 2.5... which do you prefer at the same price?

ask owner if head gaskets replaced in the OBW. if so, its a good buy. but, the 2.2 has lower miles, great color (wax it and its amazing how rich it is) and, if you can buy you old car back from the insurance company, a donor mobile!

sorry about the loss though. it is hard to go through...